*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So after 2 failed MB replacements Dell has agreed to a replacement system for my 15r2. They had offered a replacement initially but were able to find another motherboard and nixed the replacement system. Current system:

6820HK
    512 nvme SSD
    3840x2160 screen
    16GB ram
    980M

It will be interesting to see what they offer. The overclockable CPU and matte 4k screen were nice...

2. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    My 15r2 config is similar to yours. It will be interesting to see what they offer. Looking forward to the update!

3. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup, pretty close. Initially mine was 16Gb with 4 GB 980m but after the last exchange it was bumped up to 32GB and 8GB 980m as that was the default config for the top end model. They've tried to give me a 1070 before as an exchange because it's "specs are better" but I'm not okay taking a downgrade in cost from $3500 to a $2500 laptop even if the current model does outperform the old one. This is the same core issue people with the 18" laptops face - there's no current 18" model so they have to take a downgrade to a 17" (unless they're wise and negotiate something on top of that to help even things out and/or take a full refund).

Curious to see what we are both offered. From reading through the thread it seems like they've become generous since my last exchange experience and for the most part are offering the high end model right off the bat.

4. cruisin5268d

Reputations:
    BTW, how did you pull off an exchange after only 2 failed replacements? The rule is 3 within a month time period. You got lucky!

5. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    They had to come out and replace the display, due to a vertical line in it, the previous month. They sent the wrong display the first 2 times (1080p instead of the 4k). Apparently there was some mix up that took numerous calls from me and the onsite techs, photos of the display in my system, and a facebook escalation. I had been running the 15r2 via a graphics amp at home so I never used the HDMI port on it. A buddy needed to borrow my gpu and when I tried to use the HDMI port, it would not work. Unfortunately, the HDMI port is the only one that will allow the external monitor to use the 980m as the TB3 port will only use the IGPU - the 15r2 has no display port outs. The replacement MB had issues with constant boot loops on the graphics amp and numerous BSOD. I never could get it to work with the AMP. Tech support tried as well and they said another MB would be sent. After not hearing from them for a couple days I contacted support again and was told I would be getting a system exchange and was contacted by that team. I still have a little over 3 yrs of complete care on the 15r2 maybe that and a lack of 15r2/17r3 motherboards with 6820HK and 980m gpus was the reason.

6. cruisin5268d

Reputations:
    That's oddly similar to what I went through:

Called for mobo and screen replacement, they sent just a screen. That had terrible overbleed so called back to get them to send a new one plus the mobo they never sent - this time they just sent the mobo. Called back for the screen and they sent new mobo and new screen (this time a gorgeous IPS 4k) but the tech was incompetent and did damage. The lack of ability to plug directly into the dGPU is frustrating - there's no way to power an external g-sync display without getting an AGA on the early models which frustrated me to no end.

Anyways, I got my offer:
    Replacement Offered
    Alienware 17 R5
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-8950HK (6-Core, 12MB Cache, Overclocking up to 5.0GHz)
    32GB DDR4 at 2666MHz
    512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5X
    17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits with Tobii IR Eye-tracking
    Windows 10 Home
    Lithium Ion (99 Wh) Battery
    Killer 1550 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0

The SSD is a downgrade in capacity (which I made mention of) but for the most part its a great offer on their end. I'll see what he comes back with but hopefully I can approve it and we can get this party started. Lead time is now showing a month when I look online.

hodgeMN likes this.
  7. hodgeMN

Reputations:

Nice offer! I have not seen any 15r3 models at the outlet for a while with the 7820HK and 4k screen. I would be happy if they made me a 15r4 offer similar to yours. The 17r5 models have been available in the outlet for a while and with all the 15r4 returns, it is strange those have not shown up yet.

8. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    So Dell's first offer of a replacement was: 15r3

7700HQ
    GTX1060
    1920x1080
    68 Whr battery

Everything else was the same. Told them it was unacceptable as my CPU was a 6820HK, screen was 4k and my battery was 92Whr. Can't believe they would try to pass this off as a valid replacement.

c69k and Papusan like this.
  9. cruisin5268d

Reputations:
    Wow that’s surprising. I was expecting you to get the same offer I did - just with the 15.

I’m incredibly pleased with the agent I’ve been working with for this exchange. Seems like you drew the short straw but don’t give in. That system is in no way reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  10. hodgeMN

Reputations:
    I am not going to accept anything less than an HK CPU. It's probably going to be tough for them to match the 4k screen and HK cpu for a lower end spec that they have at the outlet.

c69k likes this.