*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. shashank066

shashank066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Welcome, saw your posts on your reddit. Those system replacement guys are stubborn. Turned down my screen change request to what I originally purchased. Even when I was just 30 minutes late after replying "I agree" and he failed to mention the change in email body, where he mentioned other changes. Once you reply "I agree" they won't change, at least didn't change for me.

For 3 months without working system, was the system partially functioning or totally not booting. Mine was totally not powering on and I would be around 55 days mark with a paperweight system, according to their delivery date. 3 months with a dead system would have been lot more to endure.

For the warranty, I checked today. On the order track page which you get 2 days after agreeing, there you can find service tag after expanding actions and going through more options. I was surprised to see they have extended warranty for 1 more year. Now for me all I need is a correctly working replacement, along with original IPS screen to be an Alienware fan boy again.

Where did you read IPS screen on 15 R4 is worse than 15 R3? I have been researching panels, in case I need to change it myself. From what I could find IPS 60Hz panels on 15 R4 and 15 R3 are same.

The argument which usually works is that newer component provided is worse than original one. Like few sli owners were offered weaker single card reasoning equal performance. After pushing they got it changed to newer gen sli. For Tobi on 15, they screwed it for everyone. 15 R4 buyers who were advertised Tobi didn't got it. Tobi on R3 wasn't fully functional anyway just an annoying red light which I disabled, so not a big deal for me.

There was 1 guy, who got system replacement last year and didn't got much upgrade as 15R4 and 17R5 weren't released. If it comforts you at least we got newer line up. 8th gen processor overheat a lot. So, we would have to undervolt to probably run at slightly reduced speeds after repaste. Even then they should outperform 7th gen due to being 6 cores.

2. CanIbiteYou

CanIbiteYou Newbie

Reputations:
    May ask where you from, which support european or US? Ít seems US support is way more generous. If you already got the system, how long did it take them to ship? Its nearly a week for me atm.
    I already agreed to the system its on the way to me. Found out about the screen and tobii only later, was sure it would be there since it was advertised. When I check the screen of my old alienware on the dell page it says anti-glare 300 IPS Pannel, like on the 4k IPS screen or TN 2k in dell shop. Nothing about anti glare and the brightness on the IPS I ordered.
    Regarding tobii eye - I dont really care if its a gimmick (ofc it is) but i bought that feature. If my cpu overheats I will push for another replacement with higher specs and tobii eye so at least 17' with 4k ips or 120hz 2k pannel.

3. shashank066

Reputations:
    I am from India. Paid 3200$ for Alienware 15 with 7700HQ and 1070 ( only 2-3 built pre-configured config are available here) which is expensive than configuring from dell. No discounts here too. Support is same, they outsource to Dell India employees and they just do what the script says. There are still 400-500 Alienware employees from US, who provide much better support.

I agreed on 27 June. The system is built and is in shipping. They told me it's reached my country on 9 July and the maximum date for delivery is 25 July. For full details of screen you might be able to check when you get the order track link in 2-3 days. You will be able to get the service tag from there and check system configuration and warranty dates.

It will probably overheat a bit on stock thermal paste. If you are able to get 17' with 4K IPS or 120Hz 2k panel from Alienware 15 that would be epic. All the best.

4. CanIbiteYou

CanIbiteYou Newbie

Reputations:
    I see.. 8750h 1070 config too I guess? Wish you best of luck too. I will not take another overheating system, I will keep em shipping me new till one works, there is 2 weeks return window rule, lets see if it applies to replacements and lets see how far I can push them. Srsly sellings overheating systems for 2k+ just needs to be punished.

5. shashank066

Reputations:
    Getting i9-8950 and 1080 Max-Q. I was temporary upgraded to 7820 and 1080 Max-Q previously. We did meet up on reddit where I explained the config.Your username is too unique to not notice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/8vim3q/questions_about_exchange_process_configuration/

6. CanIbiteYou

CanIbiteYou Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha ok thats you. Yeah urs is a win in my books hopefully the temps dont go through the roof wirh that 8950hk Well my support guy changed the 8950hk to 8750h in the last moment saying it way a typo :]
    My configuration definitly mentions 1 year warranty in the paper the support guy sent me, but when I use the service tag to check the config, I only see the old warranty remaining (around 200 days). Regarding the screen - the same regular 60hz ips pannel without any 300-nits or anti glare feautures like on my R3.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Robert Estuar

Robert Estuar Newbie

Reputations:
    I knew seeking warranty for ethernet port when rest of system was flawless was a bad idea. Totally regret it. I just have to be patient like everyone else now and accept it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:20 AM
  8. shashank066

Reputations:
    Received my replacement yesterday. System is working fine, apart from the expected high CPU temps which would be fixed with repaste and Throttlestop.

Time Taken:

21 days for failed repair
    6 days to offer replacement specs after saying system will be replaced
    8 days to build the system
    11 days to deliver
    Total 21 days for repair and 25 for replacement.

Robert Estuar likes this.
  9. Robert Estuar

Robert Estuar Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got a call from Exchange dept confirming the process will start tommorrow. Said up to 3 weeks .. Etc said factory will send a matching system config from open box refurbs immediately if available if one isnt available they will email a proposed system config for me to look over and accept etc etc

july 2nd initiated support for dead ethernet on alienware r4 17 - july 5th tech replaces with mobo with dead gpu.. sent out return on july 13 diff mobo dead gpu still ... processing for exchange.

I would have to say their support team is very friendly and efficient. I'm sure they deal with these same issues day in and day out and it must be annoying to constantly have to reply and log each email, each chat session.. I can't imagine.

I just wish they would take an extra 15 mins to test a repair before sending it out and it could save so many hassle since dell makes them used old parts etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 9:57 PM
  10. Robert Estuar

Robert Estuar Newbie

Reputations:
    I will say from my experience just take any timeline quoted by Dell and multiply it by 2.