*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Jain

Jain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am having a problem with my Alienware 17R3
    And they asking me to drop it off for observation? It's 1 and 9 months old, can you guide how to proceed with them?

2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have to be specific, what kinda problems you have.. and yes u can hand over the system or they will collect it from u for doing observation.. it will take weeks.. in the end they might even say everything is running fine as per the specs.. so its ur choice..

3. Jain

Jain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mentioned my problem here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17r3-issues.816752/

4. shashank066

shashank066 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After getting good services from dell previously, this time I too joined the club of Dell Hell. 5 failed repairs by Dell and 23 days without a working system. Lost the data on SSD as it failed and would have to arrange the backup of HDD data myself. All this for premium Alienware 15 R3 laptop, costing 3110 Dollars. It costed me 25-30% extra over here in India, but I thought the experience would be good and worth it. Unfortunately it's been worse than any other laptop I have owned in terms of breaking down and overheating.

I was informed, I would get a refurbished replacement since it's 10 months old and had multiple failures on 21 Jun. Was told the replacement time may take 25-30 days. I have yet to negotiate for an upgrade. I called Dell today, and the agent asks me "Why are you calling? You have been sent an email 2 days ago and to wait and be patient since the replacement team doesn't works on weekend."

I just hope it doesn't takes more than 1.5 months including the 23 days already lost and they agree to an upgrade. Some of your stories are really scary taking months. Going to be the last Dell system if they delay this too much. Maybe will try to escalate through social media or Dell Alienware forums if they delay too much. Will update when I get the replacement and how much time it took.

5. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    it might take 20-30 days or sometimes only 15 days.. depending on the finance team approval, and the manufacturing side timelines..

6. shashank066

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any experience with asking them for an upgraded replacement. Did they approve?

They wasted more than a month without any working system and many other issues. I feel that should make me eligible for an upgrade. Would ask for i7-7820 and Nvidia 1080 max q instead of current i7-7700 and 1070.

7. shashank066

Reputations:
    So, they approved the replacement and upgrade. They offered Alienware 15 R4 instead of 15 R3. Details of upgrade are:
    Processor i9-8950 instead of i7-7700hq (had gotten 7820 on a previous upgrade after 5 repairs)
    1080p 120hz Tn instead of 1080p 60hz IPS
    16GB 2666MHz
    1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM instead of 512GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    GTX 1080 Max-Q instead of Nvidia 1070 (had gotten 1080 Max-Q on a previous upgrade after 5 repairs)

Was initially very happy with the upgrade. Unfortunately, after replying "I agree", I noticed the display was 120hz TN instead of 60hz IPS, which I had in previous system. I already have a 144hz external monitor. I prefer the 60hz IPS because of better colors over the TN. 30 mins after replying "I agree", I asked if it could be changed to 60hz which they turned down multiple times. The dell guy didn't mentioned the screen change in email body while others he mentioned. So, I had to agree with TN one. IPS panel was important to me.

Would try to sell this replacement due to IPS panel and get a desktop as I game on a desk anyway. If anyone in India is interested in purchasing it can contact me. The laptop has 1 year and 3 months of warrantly left and extended warranty of 3 more years can be purchased.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    lol.. whats your price :)

9. shashank066

Reputations:
    I had thought if someone could offer 2.05 lakh INR. I was starting to change my mind to keeping it, reading about the specs, praises of 120hz since hours and you asked lol.

10. CanIbiteYou

CanIbiteYou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

my story short:

germany, high temps - tech visits, new broken parts each visit after last one my system wasnt booting. 5 repairs,3 motherboard replacements. completly broken alienware r3 15 1070. After 2 weeks of negotiation they offered me a system replacement. I am sitting without a working laptop for 3 month now.

Old specs:
    R3 15
    7700hq
    1 TB HDD
    16 GB Ram
    IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display 60hz 1080p

New Specs:
    R4 15
    8750h
    1070 oc
    256GB m.2 SSD (not a problem got another 1tb m.2 960 evo)
    16 GB Ram
    60hz IPS 1080p - no other specifications

I asked for bigger upgrade but was declined and was told that I have to pay for every better part. So had to agree.
    To be honest after 3 Months of Dell Hell I am ready to push as far as I can, after reading that the new R4 still overheats I am kinda prepared for the worst.
    The biggest meh part is that I just read that new R4 got worse ips screens then before ( can anyone confirm this?) and there is no windows hello and tobii aware sesnor anymore. Would this mean that my replacement outside of usual dell standards: "same hardware or better?"
    Anyone got any tips how I could push them for a more powerful system (I probably go right away for this if my system overheats)
    And what about my warranty? Shouldnt it reset for another year after the replacement?

I may sound somewhat ungrateful to you, getting a 8750h for 7700hq but to be honest, I am so done with Dell after all those failed repair attempts and not being able to work and game on system for 3 month now, I want to benefit as much as I can from this now.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018