*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. NeR0FiD0

NeR0FiD0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let's see, and lets look at the current facts then (obvously which are readily available, here only)
    I had the privilege to view your comments on this forum, and read your interactions with other members. You have always been pro-Alienware (in your self-righteous way which is great, as in your case you didn't face any issue with the product or service, good for you bro, I am really happy for you) and have shunned scathing remarks, even though they resulted from AW's lousiness (lets forget the region angle). So lets not forget that you too (I am not the only one for sure as you claim) have a confirmation/ anchoring bias.

My last comment clearly pointed out that I am ready to go with your statement, as I do not want to argue. But atleast I am right as far as other vendors are concerned. An issue must be corrected even if it is standalone and has no precedence (it isn't a court of law after all). That puts Razer and AW in the same bucket, or lets go with you, Razer is marginally weaker than AW (I am not pro Razer, but you are definitely Pro-AW, given your comments). Ratio of worst to best (extremes) on this forum is 0.7: 1 (not a good stat for any H/W mfg to have). Now assuming that this poll is a representative set of the universal set, which it is not, and even the sample size, is too small to come to any conclusion or establish causality. At the same time there are many lurking variables (ex - use case of the user being a key one) and elements that can have a confounding effect (ex - the reported replacements in this forum are across Models and across revisions), speaking in the lingo you are trained in. Given your qualification I hope you can atleast relate to the churn at every step of the process, and hence we cannot fill in the blanks or make a statsitically significant prediction. Conclusion is that we can't fill in the missing data using Multiple Imputation or Expectation Maximization, and certainly not with our whims and Series mean. At max we can correlate only, and make subjective remarks. Also, a design flaw requires the OEM to make a replacement, legally, as the OEM committed a mistake in developing that product and the performance isn't predictable and it can perform differently than it was advertsied or it works differently than it was intended to (really strict in Automotive and defense fields: coordinated recalls are the result). Among flaws Design > Mfg (you will know why I am decently qualified to say so). Come to think of it you are implying that AW and Dell, with all their resources are unable to diagnose a problem: Semiconductor tolerance and behavior too complex for them? (you don't have to respond it is rhetorical). "No actual cause of this problem has been found", can be due to the fact that they initially invested in the investigation and later didn't have enough budget to focus on correcting the problem for existing users, as they had to focus on releasing another revision within the same year, which doesn't face or demonstrate this problem to the the extent its predecessor did. All this while they cannot publicly acknowledge this issue, as they would be mandated to make H/W replacements, they will invite legal cases etc.

Talking about profiles, I come from a subcontinent, denizens of which are sterotyped with anything related to Maths (that includes stats). After my undergrad (focusing on electronics) I was working towards developng RADAR and Camera based systems that enable semi-automatic driving and automatic braking in vehicles (Adaptice Cruise Control / CMBB etc.); using higher Maths (fourier, jacobian, etc.) and Embedded systems (have worked on microprocessors - freescale/ intel/ nec, ASICs, FPGAs - CPLDs and PLDs). Pursued my masters in business (took a lot of analytics related courses), and now I work as Product Manager and use SPSS and R everyday. As a PM I can tell you that reviews are mostly superficial (especially, ones from famed channels and resources), and in some cases can even be bought (it is really sad but true). For a comprehensive review, especially in VLSI or Semiconductor domain, long term usage should be excersized (from engg. experience), as issues become visible (notice the words, I am not using appear or develop) after a decent amount of time and usage, whereas marketing team focuses on getting the reviews out as fast and as positive as possible, and if a reviewer is good he/ she will specify that he/ she couldn't spend too much time with the computer or didn't test certain use cases, otherwise wouldn't dare touch the achilles heel or in some cases would review iteration number 2. As you would know, all these tech gurus out there do not buy the system, they are given systems to review as people follow them and rever them to be thought leaders.

Also, I want finish by saying. I respect your opinion please respect mine too. Lets close the argument here, it is actually distracting me more than I thought it would when we started. I am grateful for the insight that you shared, I will try connecting with someone on Alienware.com via their messenger channel.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The reason why I am more pro AW than some other on this board is due to my experiences. I test laptops for a friend of my that runs a chain of PC shops in Europe. Also I tend to want the best for my needs/reliability. I change laptops fairly often. In my search for a good laptop I came across multiple brands and I tested multiple brands. In regards to pure build quality I have AW in high regards, Clevo machines, Gigabyte machines and MSI machines felt like toys and the chassis longevity is shorter unless you really treat it like a princess. Hinges mounted on plastic plates for example with Asus laptops that tear over time are a nice example on which AW didnt skimp (metal on metal), or plastic base chassis with aluminum panels that do not offer any protection and do flex a lot vs an actual metal chassis surrounded by a carbon fibre composite in AW machines. The build quality itself is just better than most others. But QC do can be an issue as portrayed by the current model thermal paste issues. Now you undestand on what I based my opinion. I have tested 10+ laptops past 2 years alone. Also the support from other vendors was way worse in Europe. Simply cannot beat next busines day support on site which in at least Europe no other vendor offers. Other vendors all outsource the repair jobs at service centers such as Getronics in the Netherlands and thats pretty much end of the line for any laptop once you send it there. It comes back worse.

It is true that reviews are quite superficial. Especially when it comes to long term durability. However, once you have the throttling issues, it is very easy replicate.

The problem might not be even hardware. People reported different results with different Intel Thermal Framework drivers for example. Driver combinations and versions might be the culprit. Also might be the reason why I never experienced the same issues on 3 different motherboards. As mainly software developer/webdesigner this would be my best guess (I did do industrial design next to it). This would also be a reason why it is so hard to pinpoint for AW why this is happening.

The PCH heatsink just might be a hardware remedy for a software limitation. If I had a R1 unit near me I could test it with temperature sensors placed on the PCH and do some stresstesting to see how hot the PCH can become under load. The TJmax of PCH chipsets are quite high so they shouldnt throttle under 90C. But in the AW15R2 it is sometimes the case when the wrong thermal framework is installed. Such an issue might be the case with the R1 as well. If there isnt an error within the bios at least.

3. NeR0FiD0

NeR0FiD0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is some insight, Thanks!
    I found: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R9-M295X-Notebook-Review.144904.0.html
    where under Performance -> Processor, one can see what I should have seen before buying :(, the same throttling related issue pointed out by a reviewer. Basically, we have a thorough reviewer here.
    I used to appreciate the build quality of m17x r4 3d, but those are the days of yore, now build quality is flimsy (I remember my first day with AW 15, after I sold my m17x, was really disappointed with Keyboard feedback and plastic quality). But now, Hi-Dev, Sager etc. are doing fine (decent quality, might not be great but more like what AW used to be).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. tinker_xp

tinker_xp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well wish me luck all, Dell have tried repairing my laptop (faulty GPU or MXM board so they've replaced both, including the heat sink) and it still has the same issues to a fashion so Dell are now requesting I sent my laptop into the repair depot. Despite numerous requests I've had to relent and send it in, bizarrely the Alienware technician acknowledged they had issues at the repair centre before and have since change service providers with a view of providing a better service. I like to think they want balls it up and repair it properly or I am hoping for a replacement....

Will keep you all posted as I'm curious to see how this plays out.

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You are not forced to use Intel DPTF driver. Up to you whether you want to use this piece of trash. I can not see a single reason to have this installed!!! And several have tested with and without this Bloatware... Same throttle fest.

TBoneSan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Garry7263 - this thread is also relevant to your situation.