*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    A refurbished mobo as a replacement will not help yooo much. Yoo will only get the same problem (Maybe even worse). Only the money back can save you from the mess from Dell. Sorry, but so it is. Just remember all this mess you have experienced, the next time you want to buy a computer.

2. NeR0FiD0

NeR0FiD0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Of course, I will remember this. Moneyback is not a possibility in India (laptop is 18 months old). I had another question though, are you guys ( @Mr. Fox @Papusan @rinneh ) aware of how some customer's were treated wrt the same issue (other cases)? I need information about the cases where a replacement was done for this issue or Dell Alienware was ready to provide motherboard replacements for the least, anywhere in the world (apart from @VICKYGAMEBOY 's case).

I was able to find the below links:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/5chqsk/alienware_15_pch_thermal_sensor_90_c_temperature/

https://www.alienwarearena.com/ucf/...rumPost/one-more-time-cooling-of-alienware-15

https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...-17-r2-2015-cpu-gpu-temps-someone-please-help

[​IMG]
    https://www.alienwarearena.com/ucf/...rottling-on-alienware-15-r2-any-update-on-fix

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/why-is-my-alienware-15-cpu-throttling-to-800-mhz.777144/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/...are_17_r2_throttling/?st=iy4hohnm&sh=ea64bfe0

https://www.alienwarearena.com/ucf/...l-an-issue-i-ordered-aw-17-r2-and-i-m-worried

But no where the final resolution was confirmed (this maybe due to the fact that at times people don't post the resolution status)

PS: The reason I am avoiding the PCH mod is because it will void my warranty. Plus why should I do it in the first place, and most of all why should I reduce the ambient temp to 18 - 20 C before playing a game. Why should I use Balanced mode (which kills the performance), when it is advertised as "High Performance, Gaming" laptop. If this issue is as per design then the design was flawed and they must do a product recall (and hence I need to get few example wrt replacements).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Case closed for the Throttling mess for the first Alienware BGA "Echo" models. Your machine is EOL. Dell has now gone ahead and launched new machines with new problems. They have more than enough with fixing the overheating due the new designed Tripod Cpu heatsink mess!!

Maybe try Alienware Arena. Talk with @Game7a1 he can probably help you over there.

You could also talk with @iunlock and @DeeX
    Both have had a lot of contact with Alienware higher up in the past in social media due the mentioned problems with the newest Alienware's. They could probably help you with this also. Because Dellienware's rep isn't much here and help Aw owners anymore. New times now!! Isn't like before. Alienware is pure DELL now.

Edit: Maybe @Mobius 1 @woodzstack can as well give you some advices what to do next.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    iunlock likes this.
  4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Most of the people who have reported the 15 R1 and 17 R2 throttling problems in AWA are, conveniently, here in NBR. There's also only 1 AW Rep in AWA (don't know his schedule) and none here in NBR.
    In any case, it's as Papusan said, the laptop is EOL, so they're done and through with that laptop. Any repairs are whatever hardware they have left like motherboards and heatsinks. There's also the problem with different regions offering different levels of support (ie: how good they are and what they can do). Escalating to the higher ups may help, but there's no guarantee.
    And if I remembered correctly, there were a few users here gathering data to prove the flaws in the design before the Skylake models launched. Don't know how that ended.

5. NeR0FiD0

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. As per Dell's Terms and Conditions the Service level Agreement is the same throughout the world. So one can authoritatively ask for replacements, if he/ she is able to demonstrate precedence in either of the first party forums Dell's Community (preferred) or AWA, or Service Tag details (pre and post replacement), given that his/her case is found similar to the one documented in their database where replacement was made.

Also, the design flaw is definitely wrt the PCH, I just recieved my CM SF-17, opened the back panel. Locked the clock at 3.2 GHz (-55 mV under volt), using throttlestop, unchecked BD PROCHOT and C1E as recommended by @unclewebb. Ran Witcher 3 (Blood and Wine expansion pack with recode mod; really heavy!!) for 3 hours continuous, got 82 as highest temp. No, thermal or PLT was observed and clock was stable as hell, at all. Whereas, earlier i was observing either thermal or PLT even when I was fixing the clock at 2.6 GHz (base clock) and undervolting by 75 mV, depending uponw whether BD PROCHOT was checked or unchecked. In sum my hypothesis is PCH gets hot and is not reported but definitely has an associated sensor (no way to monitor it from OS, only BIOS for R1). Once PCH is hot if BD PROCHOT is checked, even though CPU/ GPU temps are fine, as measured by XTU, thermal throttling is registered, if it is unchecked PLT is registered, reason being that PCH was getting hot any ways and internal sensor triggers throttling (H/W channel), causing it to bottleneck the power inflow (and hence the H/W was starved of power). Only difference was that either BIOS or Embedded H/W is coded to short to 800 MHz / 0.78 GHz if a thermal throttle is observed whereas downclock in PLT is variable depending upon power starvation so lowest clock was 1.5 GHz. So heat-sinking the PCH should solve the issue. But I should not be opening the back panel before gaming everytime and the thermal paste + copper plate mod will void the warranty (Devil Vs the Deep blue sea). I will do the experiment with 3.4 and -40mV as well. Any suggestions are welcome.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I never experienced this problem myself with the 2 AW15R1's that I owned. So I cannot offer a solution for this. It is sitll not clear what the exact cause is (combination of drivers, firmware and bios I suspect).

I do recommend you to contact Alienware USA directly. The support in India seems to be quite poor.

The problem is also that not everyone has this issue makin git even more difficult to pinpoint what the reason is.

ALso if you do it well, you can heatsink the PCH and reverse it if support is needed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the service quality. It varies among regions despite what it should be on paper, and some regions offer poor service. Other regions could offer better support.
    Wouldn't AW USA redirect him to AW India in the end, though?
    But yes, I think people concluded it was not just one sole thing that was causing issues.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had some service provided by the USA team. Great service by the way. My exoeriences have been actually quite stellar. Will go AW without a doubt again for the next laptop.

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  9. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    indeed, it is still better thn other laptops, i love my alienware, even though these small flaws are irritating, but seriously R1 had bad throttling issues.. atleast for most people..

10. NeR0FiD0

Reputations:
    Sure, will try that route this friday. Hopefully, they don't direct me back to Dell India, or at least provide some sort of internal escalation or some work around/ recommendations.