*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fun498

fun498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, the problem isn't exactly the tech's. Dell should ensure their contractors are trained at least on some basic level with their machines. Even a really experienced tech that has never worked on a similar machine is going to have some trouble. I've had a couple really awesome techs (those repairs failed because bad parts unfortunately), a lot of mediocre ones that meant well, and that one guy who ran away.

Anyway, back on topic: over a week after I was told "we'll re-escalate the case and you should hear back from us within a week" (8.5 days from when I was told that over the phone, 7.5 from the email stating the same), not a word from Dell. Calling this afternoon would have just been silly, but I'm highly considering calling tomorrow because that'll be 2/3 days over and then the weekend's coming up and I head back to campus where I won't have much time to deal with them. We're getting awfully close to the 2 month mark. Time for stronger measures it may be......

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    So, posting this here for public clarity. My Alienware 18, from the day it arrived, has had serious problems. It came with a yellow PLS display in several areas, and when i tried to reboot into my 780M SLI...black screen. My cards were DOA. Fine, got them sent for repair, the LCD was replaced, the 780Ms were replaced, and apparently the motherboard too and the LCD bezel. LCD was perfect this time All is well. I was playing chivalry for all of 3 days before my system crashed, black screened again and low and behold, the 780Ms were dead again. Fine. Sent to depot, for some reason, they replaced my LCD and the dead 780Ms. Well, the LCD is yellow again in several spots, but at least the 780Ms are working. Went to switch to intel HD 4600 (FN+F5) and.....black screened. Again. Does this constitute a system replacement yet?

I've been in contact with @Alienware-L_Porras, I hope he can help sort this out for good.

3. Caladdon

Caladdon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well this is turning out to be a hilarious situation.

Technician arrived - Very nice fellow - tried to boot up computer with no sign of life.
    Replaced motherboard and fans AND internal power cable and upon reassembly and the literal moment of a second attempt of another failed boot, we receive a phone call for him NOT to attend the site as a replacement is being arranged.

We laughed, asked me to sign a form and I'm now awaiting my replacement.....

After a chase up Phone call to Dell I've been told the replacement has been cancelled?!

I bought from an independent retailer and aren't the original owner, despite the item being brand new.
    In order to receive a replacement I would have to send back to seller, let them replace it, then receive it again.

Needless to say I'm not going through that route and have already emailed the management team demanding an alternative solution.

This has been a tiresome ordeal and a great disappointment to me personally using Alienware support.

If this issue is not corrected by next week, then I will simply sell off the Alienware after however long it takes to fix and be done with Alienware for good. Patience has all but expired waiting for tech to just simply do as intended and work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  4. Caladdon

Reputations:
    Just received this after yet another chase up.

Dear customer.

Thank you for bringing this case to our attention.

I have reviewed the details of your case and at the first place I would like to apologies for caused complications by late check of ownership details.

Unfortunately as we do not have a direct sales contract with you, we are not able to provide you with replacement of the system.

At this point we are either able to provide you with the list of repairs that you can use to claim alternative solution from person / company you purchased the system from, or to continue with the repair option and collect your system to our repair facility for complex diagnostics to narrow down component causing this issue over remote diagnostics.

Please reply to my email which of these options is more acceptable for you, so we can take necessary steps to provide you with solution as soon as possible.

I will be looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards,

Disappointed for yet another wait....

5. fun498

Reputations:
    Has the service tag and warranty been transferred to you? If so, I'd say try another repair and if you don't seem to be getting anywhere that route, contact the re-seller. Just make sure to back up all your data if you can before sending it into a repair center.

6. Caladdon

Reputations:
    Service tag and warranty are in my name.
    The entire motherboard was replaced so I really don't want to waste anymore time trying to get a result using the same procedure.

Ultimately I was given the options of

A) Return to reseller with a dell certified list of problems to be correct/ refunded.

B) Ship to depot for repairs.

Needless to say I chose B and are now awaiting my UPS shipment box today.
    If it weren't for the sheer luck of being able to fix my ancient Vaio Laptop (Which is although temperamental, still a nice laptop) I would be considerably more irritated than I am. Just feel disappointed with the delay and having to chase Dell up at every corner.
    Been a Dell customer for years on both the Alienware and Dell systems front.

Upon reflection I've had very good service but at the same time have always required the service.

M11x - Had an issue with cheap hinges breaking apart
    M14x - i7 Turbo mode overheated the system
    M17x R3 - Slow performance resulted in a new motherboard and GPU.
    Alienware 15 - Burning hot keyboard during normal use
    Alienware 17 - Simply just won't work at all

There's always been something wrong with any Alienware laptop I've owned.
    It hasn't bothered me until now as the service was incredibly fast in the past.
    This massive delay is causing headache and something that would have put me off Alienware had I had this experience earlier.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. Rassol

Rassol Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had this story happen to me, still can't believe it would be handled this way.

So I originally bought my AW m18x r2 in my homecountry and used it for 2 years without having any issues whatsoever. Back then I was techically a giant noob, being afraid to even pull out a ribbon cable. So after two years, this summer, I have noticed that the laptop started heating up pretty quick and one day in June it has finally broken. An explosive sound, as if a capacitor has blown up, happened and immediately I had felt this smell of something fried. Needless to say, I was pretty scared, but fortunately the warranty was still active. Thank god I bought a 3 year warranty license for that!

Now at that point I moved to Germany and I didn't know about the transferring the licence from one country to another, so like a dumbass I contacted the company in my homecountry that officially repairs the Dell computers under an active warranty licence. I sent my laptop to them and eagerly waited for their response.Of course I did not take any diagnostics or at least taking the pics of the inside. And wouldn't you know it, this company told me that since there was a physical defect in the RAM panel that could ONLY occur by opening the laptop and mishandling the whole thing, the repairment would not be covered by my warranty therefore 780€ for the new motherboard, repairment costs, sending back etc on the table, please. Of course I was not going to pay anything, I told that I did not open, because a student has better things to do, rather than opening extremely expensive laptops with an active warranty. They wanted to hear none of that and played dumb, without explaining anything. What I did is contacting the local consumer rights' departement and telling the company that either they repair it for free or we would meet in a court. In two days I had received an answer that Dell supposedely decided to cover the motherboard for free. Yeah right.

After that I brought my laptop back to Germany and in TWO weeks and it has broken again. To be more specific, the RAM slot has apparently been corrupted or something and every time I sticked my RAM card into the slot, I kept getting 4 beeps. This is where the german customer surprised me. Not only I didn't have to do any warranty's transfering, which would last for like 14 days, not only I was told that the technician could come in any time, but I also got the repairment without any kind of analysis - the friendly and quite gregarious technician simply came and replaced the motherboard in an hour or so.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. Caladdon

Reputations:
    Ouch - Sounds like that was a nightmare to go through.

I agree. The in home service has also been on my part simply amazing.
    I'm just getting tired of having to use it - These very expensive systems should just simply work. You pay a premium.
    Therefore you expect nothing but the best.

Today the UPS have now collected my laptop.

Now I wait and see whether this is a straight forward procedure or yet another hurdle I've got to jump.

9. fun498

Reputations:
    So Thursday night my representative got back to me with an interesting proposition: the highest base config AW18. This kind of left me in shock, but I quickly realized it also meant Windows 8.1 and not 8.1 Pro (I had spent the extra money on 7 Ultimate and this being my primary work machine I'd like to be able to defer updates in W10). I shot back an email thanking the representative and saying I'll accept the machine. I reported some further problems that have developed with the current machine (either all my components are dying at the same time or my mobo is actually damaged) for their records and asked if I would be able to just transfer my current Windows 10 Ultimate license (upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate) and send them the 8.1 license back. I hope I'm not pushing it or sounding ungrateful, because it was a very generous offer. I can just shell out the cash for W10 Pro if worst comes to worst. I re-iterated at the end of the email that either way I accept the replacement offer - I really don't want the shipping to be delayed for this. Now I just am waiting for a response.....

EDIT: Was changed to 8.1 Pro and estimated shipping date is 11-14 business days. Did Dell get a change of management or did I receive a guardian angel?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.