*** Official Alienware Notebook System Replacement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Did Dell/Alienware handle your system exchange appropriately?

1. Yes: extremely pleased with the swift manner they handled my warranty service and exchange.

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Yes: pleased with the outcome, but resolution took too long and required a lot of effort on my part.

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. No: not happy with the downgraded system I received as an exchange, or there were other issues.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. No: not happy because my warranty issue has never been resolved and nobody responds to my concerns.

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is a thread for people to post about their experiences, ask questions, get help and advice with issues relating to inappropriate system exchanges (i.e. component downgrades, etc.).

Please share your positive experiences as well as your negative ones.

Voting Rules: Only one vote allowed, so make it count. You can change your vote if necessary.

2. Caladdon

Caladdon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello Users

After a weeks delay and my motherboard no longer in stock for at least another month Alienware have offered me a system replacement for their failure to deliver an immediate fix.

What is the process with this?
    I'm told I'm to receive an email from the exchange department confirming the swap for equal OR better specifications.
    Should I request a 980m motherboard with a 240w power supply as I've been over a week now without a fully working system and do believe I'm due an upgrade.

I've requested to keep the 1TB 7200rpm hard drive but may be open to exchanging it too as there is no important data currently on the system.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You don't "apply", your rep handling your case decides whether or not you get a replacement or not. Generally after 3 attempts to fix the same problem, or if they are out of parts, they will replace your system.

4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    How does one apply for system exchange as they have been ruining my system with many failing repair attempts and I just had it !

They changed my GPU in an an attempt to fix my problem and it didn't, then they changed the motherboard in an attempt to fix my problem and it didn't, tomorrow the guy is supposedly going to change the screen which they believe will fix the problem. But then I already have 2 other problems from the new motherboard that they gave me so after the screen change if the original problem was fixed now I have to change the motherboard again to fix the new problems. :(:(:(:(:(

I am a student and university started on 01-Sep and I am without my only study machine because DELL can't seem to do anything right.

And all this on a less than a year old 3,300 $$ machine

5. Caladdon

Reputations:
    Yes - The waiting sucks indeed.

Been a full day now and still no word - Luckily the spare family laptop was dropped off last night and no one wanted it so it's now back in my possession. Sony Vaio CW Red Edition. I'm managing to do everything except game.

Hoping Dell will get back today and if so, I'm going to press for the upgrade.

6. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    sometimes the upgrtade is a trap. They will offer you BGA soldered crap, and then when you realise what you have is only a sham your too late. Like accepting those 17'' laptops they have with soldered on 980M, for instance, they have 40% less cache, and have like half the VRAM and even the GPU is clocked lower , can not be upgraded, and STILL suffers from throttling, doesn't even add up to the power of a 680M from 3 years ago. Big difference between soldered on garbage and the real thing. The 980M that they have soldered on are like having a 770M 870M or like 965M, really. I have hundreds of these cards for sale, after months of trying to get a single one to sell for 1/4th the price they cost - I took them off ebay, because every 3 months the listing just closes anyways without re-listing. Was complete waste of time. I can not even give these away. Yet - Alienware tries and pawns systems with these built in and calls them "THE MOST POWERFUL GAMING LAPTOP" ********.

If graphical and CPU performance do not MATCH or EXCEED the specification you had before, then you keep asking them for the upgrade that does. If this means - you have to ask for an entirely different lineup - then do it., I.e you had a AW17R1 - they are offering you an AW17R2 - ask them for the AW18 instead. because no single AW17R2 config matches the power of the mid-range AW17 they used to offer if it had the 4900/4910MQ or higher CPU and whatever graphic card it came with. NONE. You'd have to get the graphics adapter and a desktop card. There are soo many issues with that - I can not even touch on it right here - but you bought a laptop - not a desktop. You also want LESS issues, not more, the adapter increases issue exponentially. They didn't invent anything with that graphics adapter - they simply redesigned the look of an existing product, where people use either mpci-e xpresscard etc.. slots to hook up a an express laneor two to use a desktop videocard. What DELL and Alienware fail to tell people is, thier graphics adapter has only limitted bandwidth, that if you tried an put a desktop card from next year in there or even a 980 - it suffers horrible loss in power. Meaning, even once again - even the LAPTOP CARD 980M would be as fast or faster and not need that adapter junk to begin with.

I tried it, I compared it, the AW17 with one of my 980M is faster then a AW17R2 maxed out model with a desktop 980 and the graphics adapter. Not only because the CPU is less powerful, but the limitted connection of the shared lanes by the graphics adapter limit the desktop card to about 80% of its capacity. Meaning, there is NO FUTURE FOR IT. Bad implementation. They bought and liscences someone else's technology trying to get a cheap fix. Just like they will be coming out with Skylake CPU only a year later then everyone else, and instead will offer the discarded/refurbished/unused 5th generation i5 (mosttly) and some i7 chips. (albeit, soldered on BGA crap, since they only buy bulk lower tier garbage anyways, to save money)

deadsmiley and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. fun498

fun498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Best of luck, but I've been without a fully working system for over 8 weeks now and have only been offered a downgraded system. Patience is going to be key and don't get your hopes up. Two years ago I had 4 on-site repairs go totally awry (wrong parts sent, broken parts sent, inexperienced technicians damaging the system more than fixing it, and one technician who got frustrated and ran out of my house mid-repair leaving me to finish the job for him) and was offered a system exchange. It was fairly generous in some regards such as hard drive upgrade and a Blu-Ray drive (I've never used it once, but it was a nice gesture). yet was lacking in the most crucial aspect for me and my work: the CPU. They sent the system despite my protest and eventually I was able to escalate the case again and get a 2nd replacement sent out equivalent to the first offer, but with a CPU about equivalent to my original system. The horror was over....for then

I was holding off posting about my story for this exchange until it's all over (I actually am the one who inquired about creating such a thread), but it isn't looking good so far. I was smart and asked for an escalation after only 3 repairs and a bit over one month this time, but my first offer was a downgraded outlet (refurb, but most likely not even refurbed according to most stories I've heard) AW18. This was about a week after the case was escalated (I was told 2 business days, but apparently that is for them to review the case for escalation and not make an offer). After over 6 weeks at that point I was honestly expecting a slight upgrade again as compensation (like the Blu-Ray last time), but instead was hit with a downgrade. Well, over a week after that offer I've yet to receive a second and have no reason to believe it will be anything reasonable. My current machine is working fine for school work (papers/programming/internet) and I won't be playing games until breaks, so as frustrating as it is, I can wait out on them indefinitely until they offer me something "equal or greater" as the contract states.

8. Caladdon

Reputations:
    Just received a call informing me my parts are in store and a technician will be round tomorrow.

Talk about a runaround.

Not in the mood to argue so decided to see if this is the case and look forward to getting my Alienware back up and running.

9. fun498

fun498 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you haven't ever dealt with a "Dell" technician and on-site service, be wary. They are almost always (possibly always) contractors from a general repair shop, some of which have never seen your model of computer before or have had any training to repair Alienware computers (or even laptops in one case I had). Sit and watch every move the guy makes. If any damage is done to the machine, inform Dell immediately and have it set in your records. I've had them send broken parts or downgraded parts (gfx cards) multiple times. I have yet to have an on-site service leave my computer in a better state than before the service (I think I've done 7 or 8 so far). Best of luck though; maybe the technicians in your area fair better. However, if worst comes to worst and they run out of parts again, you can escalate the case and get a replacement. Good luck!

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The people that do in home dispatch are all independent contractors. They are the same as the Dell Repair Depot employees, and really all employees everywhere, to the extent that some are very talented, knowledgeable and do an extremely good job and others are about as worthless as chewing gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe. It's probably safe to say that most are average at what they do. There are many that have never even seen an Alienware laptop before and tragic things sometimes do happen. But, there is a first time for everything and a conscientious technician will be careful and try to do a great job. Take pictures before they touch it, watch like a hawk, and intervene if you see any evidence of stupid. If it is a good tech he/she won't mind the company. Remember, most of their customers are idiots or noobs that barely know how to turn on a computer. I have been told more than once that it is refreshing when they encounter customers that are hardcore geeks.

Caladdon likes this.