*Official* Alienware M18xR1/R2 CPU Overclocking Thread - Learn How and Share Tips Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I still havent tried to use liquid ultra because I have a friend who fried his motherboad by making a short circuit with this thing. If it helps so much with temperatures I will give it a try applying it very very carefully. The fans are going at full speed, I have already checked them. Also I have very high temperatures in my single 980m, it reaches 90-91C after 5 mins of gameplay without any overclocking. The heatsink I used is from my 7970m , so its the amd version not nvidia.

2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You definitely need the nVidia heat sink.

3. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sazistas I am using AMD heat-sinks for my 980m's and have had good temperatures through the Australian summer in a room with no AC! So unless your heat-sink is worn out or broken there is no need for you to buy a new heatsink.
    If you are worried about liquid ultra or the other metal TIM, IC Diamond should give you reasonable results.
    The other thing to check is that your are getting full coverage/contact between the die and heat-sink for both your cpu and gpu. To do this; apply the TIM as you normally would, re-assemble the heat-sink and then remove the heatsink and check the coverage. It wastes a bit of thermal paste but at least then you know your technique is not causing the high temperatures.

Rundll32 and Papusan like this.
  4. alexkidd85

alexkidd85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I have just purchased 2920xm and i put the thermal paste again (Gelid TC-GC-03-A). Currently I have the m18x R1 heatsink but in full load my temps never exceeds 87° C.
    My cpu is OC at 4.5 Ghz like Mr. Fox settings. Nothing change.

Big problem!!

With prime95, for example, my cpu stucks in full load at 2.6Ghz.
    With 3d mark 11 at 3.2 (stock??) sometimes at 4.5 and some core, sometimes drop to 400~ .
    My cpu scores with phisical test is less the 7k.

I have already turned off the c-states. when it is quiet stay at 4.5Ghz but when power demands, same problems described.

This problem happens in gpu test too. I mean, it can happen even when cpu is at 65/70° C (in 3d mark 11).

Please, please... before i was CPU LIMITED, now cpu drops. I have NO PEACE.

if anyone has any ideas.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What do you have set for MSR Lock and Pri Plane? In the unlocked BIOS menus the MSR Lock should be set to disabled. Pri Plane should be set to at least 965 with 3920XM but probably better around 1200 with 2920XM.

6. alexkidd85

Reputations:
    Msr lock is already sets to disable and pri plane is sets to 2400 like image on the first post!
    Is it wrong? should i set to 1200??

I just realized that in the last screen i had not set long duration PWR limit to 99. He was set to 0 couse in the first img was set to 0 so, i got confused.

So, pri plane to 1200 (2400 right now)?

Edit:
    Pwr limit reset its value to default!!! Is it Normal??

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  7. alexkidd85

Reputations:
    3DMark Score
    Graphics Score
    Physics Score
    Combined Score
    Graphics Test 1
    57.81 fps
    Graphics Test 2
    78.38 fps
    Graphics Test 3
    95.44 fps
    Graphics Test 4
    41.48 fps
    Physics Test
    28.06 fps
    Combined Test
    28.35 fps

gpu @ 1050 MHZ 1.50v
    cpu @ 4.5 GHZ
    vram @ 2900MHZ

why same result as default?

Is it normal that now my gpu make strange noise? Only my primary gpu.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    2400 is OK. You can max it out if you want to. I was only suggesting the lowest limit. The Turbo limits need to be set on the same screen as Pri Plane as the last step before saving and exiting the BIOS because the screen with the multipliers does not go high enough and if you re-enter that menu they will be reset. You can max these out also.
    There is definitely something wrong with how your CPU is performing, but it seems like you are using the correct settings. GPUs making noise is not normal. What kind of noise is the primary GPU making?

If you haven't already done so, try using ThrottleStop and see if it corrects your CPU behavior issues. If it does not help, you may have a messed up CPU or motherboard. If ThrottleStop does make a gigantic improvement, you may still have a BIOS setting that is off somewhere. Your Physics score is far too low for 4.5GHz.

9. alexkidd85

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox! Thank you for your support!
    ThrottleStop in addition to monitoring the behavior of the cpu can help me with something else?
    It is used for TT but I do not think my cpu go in TT although it does not have the R2 heat sink.
    Temperatures reach 93/94° C in cpu test now that I adjusted the setting and cpu stay at 4.5ghz but it reaches 94° C at the end of the test and they never drops to a ridiculous frequency (symptom of TT, right?).
    But in GPU tests I still have to do more and I do not have temperature problems. They (cpu and gpu) stay around 60/65° C.

Left GPU makes a noise like a capacitor noise. a slight hiss.
    I can not explain better than that.
    I have often heard during the cpu stress test in my past experiences also on PC Desktop.
    I never realized if had been the CPU, chipset, or ram to do so

but it is a common component noise when working at the maximum frequency. Also in electronics especially on capacitors. But, I repeat, it is a slight but audible noise.

Thanks!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have never heard the hissing noise you speak of. You have a 3 pipe CPU heat sink? If not, you need to get one and use Liquid Ultra thermal paste.

TThese videos from my YouTube channel may help also. There may be additional settings that need to be changed, so watch all of the screens and see if there is something that was missed.

This one is for 2920XM, but many of the important settings are the same.

alexkidd85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.