*Official* Alienware M18xR1/R2 CPU Overclocking Thread - Learn How and Share Tips Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Brother homank, I responded to your question in the benchmark thread. How did the suggestion work out?

2. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually hadn't have time to try those settings yet. Soon as I do I'll let you know and thank you again for all your wisdom.

3. Ozgur Yenimazman

Ozgur Yenimazman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am a new M18X R2 user,
    Eventually, I am not new to desktop OC but I am a little bit struggling with this one,

I have a M18X R2: 3920XM, 7970M CF, 16 GB (4X4) 1600 MHZ CL 11, 2X240GB SSD Corsair Force in Raid 0 + 500 WD Caviar Black 7200 Rpm, Logitech G700

My Current Setting;

Non-Flex disabled
    Level 3
    Flex VID 10

Here my question is to what value to adjust the flex vid?
    What is flex vid anyway?

In stress tests I see some 105 degrees and throttling at the same time, I tried flex vid 0, worked somehow good but with almost same temps, I am really curious about the temps,
    What should be the optimum flex vid for both the temps and in terms of performance with other settings the same?
    By the way I got 7.8 in windows index for cpu.

Best Regards,

4. homank76

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, The max I can get is 46 across all cores. Any higher and the system just won't boot up at all.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ozgur Yenimazman - flex is voltage. Your ambient temps may be working against you. If your working environment is greater than 70°C your overclock is too aggressive to work well and throttling will be unavoidable. Maybe tecrp7 or Postal Painmaker can provide some additional tips for your 3920XM, but it looks like you're on the right track.

homank - so what I suggested worked up to 46x4... Good deal. That was just a starting point. What flex and pri plane settings have you tried to get past 46x4? There is no universal setting. It took many hours to find the best combination of flex and pri plane on my system to find the max overclock and no two processors are exactly the same. When you say "won't boot" do you mean Windows freezes during logon, BSOD or truly does not boot (fails POST)? 69 flex and 1100 pri plane may allow you to load Windows at 47x4 or 48x4, but may not be the ideal performance setting. You'll need to spend time trying different settings to learn what your CPU needs to do its best. If those settings get you into Windows, try taking one and/or the other up or down until you find the setting that works best.

You may need to use a lower multiplier and increase BCLK to accomplish the same end goal. If you cannot boot at 48x4 no matter what settings you use, you may be able to use 46x4 @ 104.5MHz or 47x4 @ 102.00Mhz for example. You'll need to use trial and error with any CPU to get it dialed in. You're already 1GHz beyond the normal turboboost max, so you're making good progress.

6. homank76

Reputations:
    Brother Fox,

What I mean by not boot is it gets to the Windows logon and freezes. I read some where that you shouldn't adjust the pri plane for performance reasons, but I guess I misread it. Also, what does C-state actually do? If I disable it I can set the processor to 49, but my clock speeds never go beyond the max base clock of 3.5.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I run with c-states disabled most of the time. Enabled, it allows your CPU to slow down when not under a load and cool down. You can disable it in BIOS and re-enable it in Windows with ThrottleStop by checking the PowerSaver and C1E boxes. If you want your screen shots in CPU-Z to show your max clock speeds without having to run a background app to create a CPU load, you need to have c-states disabled.

Look at the screen shots closely. The only thing I changed was checkboxes. The CPU max speed is the same regardless of the settings. The only difference is the CPU is not running wide open 24/7 with c-states enabled. With ThrottleStop, you can also run your CPU at maximum overclock, then create up to 4 profiles to run it at different speed thresholds lower than the maximum based intended use. I have set macros with my TactX keys to shift between ThrottleStop profiles on the fly.

The video below shows how programming the TactX keys with macros allows you to toggle through the CPU profiles.

C-States Disabled.JPG | C-States Enabled.JPG | TS-Profiles.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  8. homank76

Reputations:
    So do you use XTU or Throttlestop to make you changes? I'm sorry, but I'm getting confused here by all the programs one has to run...I know this stuff won't be easy...but damn.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Basically, I only use XTU to set multipliers higher than the 45x allowed in the BIOS. Other than that, there is no need to use XTU for anything. You can adjust flex (turbo voltage) and BCLK with XTU, but not pri plane (amps). XTU will mess up your pri plane (amps) settings and it will screw up your memory settings. So, set everything in the BIOS, launch XTU to set multipliers, reboot and check your settings again in the BIOS. (Just remember to stay out of the menu completely where the multipliers are in the BIOS or they will reset and lose what you set in XTU.) It can also be useful to change BCLK with XTU as a matter of convenience. But, once you do that and reboot, you will need to go back into the BIOS to set your memory voltage and bus speed because XTU will cause it to reset to defaults. If you are already running memory defaults, then it doesn't matter.

With an M18x R2 and the latest version of XTU there could be some things that XTU is more beneficial for than it is with an M18x R1.

Using my example above, ThrottleStop is useful to set limitations. Once you find your overclock max you can use ThrottleStop to "reign in" the CPU and tone it down to do things that don't require a massive overclock without having to touch any settings inside of the BIOS. In other words, there is no point in web browsing and playing games at 4.8GHz and doing so is just going to generate a lot of unnecessary heat and wear with no benefit realized. You can create a profile that enables c-states and clocks the CPU at 4.0GHz for gaming, and another profile that caps things off at 3.5GHz for web surfing and office productivity apps. You can switch between them with nothing but keystrokes. This is not a requirement, but it is a nice thing to have set up.

deadsmiley likes this.
  10. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What would be the highest you recommend overclocking for "every day" use? I would like to run it at an even 4.5 GHz for gaming. So, I assume it will go from 3.0 GHz to 4.5 GHz, with turbo boost.

Edit: Perhaps I should leave it alone until I learn some more about overclocking, ha ha! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.