*Official* Alienware M18xR1/R2 CPU Overclocking Thread - Learn How and Share Tips Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozgur Yenimazman

Ozgur Yenimazman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am a new M18X R2 user,
    Eventually, I am not new to desktop OC but I am a little bit struggling with this one,

I have a M18X R2: 3920XM, 7970M CF, 16 GB (4X4) 1600 MHZ CL 11, 2X240GB SSD Corsair Force in Raid 0 + 500 WD Caviar Black 7200 Rpm, Logitech G700

My Current Setting;

Non-Flex disabled
    Level 3
    Flex VID 10

Here my question is to what value to adjust the flex vid?
    What is flex vid anyway?

In stress tests I see some 105 degrees and throttling at the same time, I tried flex vid 0, worked somehow good but with almost same temps, I am really curious about the temps,
    What should be the optimum flex vid for both the temps and in terms of performance with other settings the same?
    By the way I got 7.8 in windows index for cpu.

Best Regards,

2. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my 2920 yesterday and have been playing with it trying to get max performance for everyday play and I've found that. The problem I have when I go fox max performance I can't get above 45 at all. Even when I use XTU to say raise one core to 46 I can't get the system to boot at; it just stays on the windows logo.

Any suggestions?

3. MrValle

MrValle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is the best compatible cpu available for my M18xR1. I am not intending to OC anything. Does any of the new ivy cpus work in my machine? Currently using i7 2820qm cpu. And last question, is my current cpu any good at all?

Im not that into cpus, never been :)

4. homank76

Reputations:
    You have the best processor made without overclocking abilities. No reason to upgrade and be happy with what you have. Ivy will not fit/work in the R1.

5. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, I tried your settings with the 2960xm and A04 unlocked bios, it seems I am unable to get Long Duration PWR limit to stick to 80 on the performance option tab and 99 to stick on the advanced cpu control tab, after reboot, the value is set at 0 under both menus in bios. the only numbers that stick is 0-80. anything higher will cause it to go to 0

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Did you remember to disable the Turbo PWR Limit MSR lock on the Advanced CPU Control menu? I've never seen that behavior before. Try clearing the CMOS by disconnecting the CMOS battery and shorting the pins where the battery terminal connects. Has to be something simple causing your issues.

7. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Checked and Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock is disabled, also cleared cmos, and same thing in bios, I did boot up and check HWifo64, it says my CPU POWER LIMIT 1 ( Long Duration) is at Power=99.00 W, Time = 56.00 sec (unlocked)

seems like it worked but not showing in bios.

8. homank76

Reputations:
    I think I may have found my problem why I couldn't overclock beyond 45...I was running BIOS A03 instead of the A05 unlocked version. I'm going to attempt to reflash now and see how that goes.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Not sure what's going on there. I have not seen that before.

Let us know how that works out.

10. homank76

Reputations:
    I've been able to get all cores running at 46 now, but anything beyond that it won't boot up. Have any hints or clues that may prevent the system from going any higher?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.