*Official* Alienware M18xR1/R2 CPU Overclocking Thread - Learn How and Share Tips Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lets discuss all things related to overclocking the Intel i7 Sandy/Ivy Bridge Extreme CPUs here...

Tips, BIOS settings, questions & answers - all are welcome.

We're going to try something different - feel free to post your CPU benchmarks here. Having CPU benchmark results within a thread dedicated to discussing CPU overclocking makes sense. Please do include a recap of your CPU OC settings in the BIOS and/or any third party apps you are using to obtain your OC speed when you post your results. This will help those new to OC'ing their CPU learn from the experts and of course provide a bit of competition among the number chasers.

When embedding images into your post, please remember nothing over 500x500 pixels. See our guide for where to host images here and how to resize images here.

For general benchmarking discussion (CPU/GPU/Drive/System), please see this thread as it is our main 'bragging' thread ;)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/574780-official-alienware-m18x-benchmark-thread.html (for reference) and http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...alienware-m18x-benchmark-thread-part-2-a.html

NBR's word of caution concerning overclocking and benchmarking... While overclocking and benchmarking can be quite a bit of fun, please be aware that delving into this realm will push your system to its limits. It can and will stress your components. Do so at your own risk - nobody is responsible for this but you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2920XM Factory Overclock Option

I had created a thread earlier on the 2920XM 'Factory Overclocked' option. That thread is now closed. I know some of you have ordered the Factory OC'd 2920XM option. When you receive your system, take a moment and review your Performance settings in the BIOS. Please report what settings are default so others can compare with their 'non-factory overclocked' 2920XM systems. Lets see if we can reproduce this 'factory overclocked turboboost to 4.0GHz' on a non-factory overclocked system. I see no reason why this is not possible given the Core Limits/Ratios should be visible in the BIOS. We shall soon find out... ;)

Have fun!

-
    SargeOsis reports the following for his 'factory overclocked' system:

Mr. Fox Edit: The settings in the screen shots below are for a stable 4.4GHz overclock with the 2920XM. They may work equally well for a 2960XM. (You may be able to lower the flex from 10 to 5 or 0 with the 2960XM.)

2920XM 4400MHz (01).JPG 2920XM 4400MHz (02).JPG 2920XM 4400MHz (03).JPG

For an overclocking instructional video showing settings and BIOS navigation, please have a look at
    this post.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Im hoping that the only difference between the factory OC'd xm and the non-factory OC'd xm is purely that Dell have done it for you. I would be pretty miffed if it wasnt "do-able" on the non factory OC'd option and IF the non-OC'd chip is "locked" in anyway, shape or form by Dell.

I *might* have gone for the Factory OC'd option but it aint available in the UK atm and my business rep said its unlikley for a few months for some odd reason!

Reckon this has been offered simply as an option for "lazy overclockers" ???;) who dont want to mess???

3. TheMatrixHacker

TheMatrixHacker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was hoping to see this thread :) Thanks for creating it. Oh and how about some Overclocking stuff for us poor s who couldnt affor the upgrades ?

4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    It is sandy bridge...except for extremely limited options on the blck (5 MHz OC being all you will likely get) the 2920xm is the only overclockable model. I know that is why I am getting one.

I will keep you all posted on my performance impressions - I got a non factory overclocked 2920xm

5. BatBoy

Reputations:
    Yep, initially I created two of these threads - this one and one for non-extreme CPUs. Immediately after doing so, I remembered the fact that non-extreme SB CPUs really don't have OC options (as we saw with the 17xR3). I removered the thread realizing I had a 'noob' moment. lol

If the non-extreme owners still want a thread, I can restore it. Up to you.

We need a general 'overclocking' thread as well. Once created, it can also be used for the non-extreme owners.

Guys - I'm open to suggestions... tell me what you want this sub-forum to look like and lets get it started. Shoot me a PM.

6. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good work fella.

I havent any suggestions atm except to say as a "soon to be" owner of a M18x with a 2920xm non-factory OC'd cpu, I am "all ears" to see how you guys do things.....will be extremely interesting to see what the experienced guys get in terms of results so I will be watching this thread very closely over the forthcoming weeks!

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I would recommend simply rolling the overclocking and benchmarking threads into one....the one will always lead to the other and vice versa and it will make for A LOT of duplicate information

8. BatBoy

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion scook. I figured you folks would want a dedicated 2920 CPU thrashing thread to discuss (and show off) your achievments with the XM.

Whatever works best is fine with me... You guys are more than welcome to chatter about overclocking in the bench thread since, as you pointed out, they do go hand in hand.

This one I do want to keep in place though to discuss 2920XM BIOS tweaking :)

9. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I would be thrilled to just have the flexibility on the CPU side that I got used to in my R1 although I know that was sort of a unique laptop in that respect haha

Memory control should be phenomenal though

10. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not up to speed with why the 2920XM overclocks and the other lesser CPU don't?
    I can't see any overclocking happening with the BCLK on the HM67 chipset
    Does the 2920QM have a unlocked mutliplier, how does it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.