*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 Benchmark Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 31, 2013.

1. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ...and the audio is unparalleled, at least in the r2 Klipsich version. The subwoofer is as good as you could imagine coming from a laptop. The AW18 has nowhere near the same sound quality.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, it was awesome in many ways, including the audio quality. It was sometimes frustrating when the Recon3di chip would stop working. I actually had the audio amp on one catch fire.

Alienware Fire Hazards| Imgur - Mr. Fox

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    jc_denton and Papusan like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    What's interesting is, I've never heard or experienced this myself until I saw the thread regarding this.

I've owned about four M18xR2, the one I have left works well *knocks on wood*

Seems like AW always had mosfet issues

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Some M17xR4 owners had the same problem. And, there were some HP owners that also had it. It was some kind of defect with the Soundblaster Recon3di drivers. Sometimes I would go for 6 months and never have it happen, then it would start happening frequently. And, then it would mysteriously stop happening. Putting it to sleep by closing the lid for a few seconds, then opening the lid to wake it up would usually revive the missing audio device and make it work again. It was pretty strange. Creative eventually released a driver that was only available from the Micro$oft Update Catalog (had to be manually downloaded) that permanently fixed it for me. Never happened again.

Papusan and ssj92 like this.
  5. godlikemouse

godlikemouse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, I'm curious, when you were running your M18x R2 with dual PSUs what did you have to change to get the laptop to accept the voltage? I purchased a Eurocom 780w with the Alienware cable but no matter what I do, I never see it pull more than 300w before it starts to throttle back. I'm using dual GTX 980m GPUs as well. Thanks.