*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 Benchmark Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 31, 2013.

1. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Understood, it was worth a shot:) thanks for the quick response.

Having put a 1070 into my m18x r2 it throttles a lot and I am not convinced anymore it is a driver issue (which I though it was to begin with).
    TimeSpy gets me 5.1k when it doesnt and 2.6k when it does throttle.

That's why i want to try the dual PSU to rule it out.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It would be interesting to see if it helps. It made no difference with 980M SLI. It was never clear exactly what caused that to happen. It was severe with 980M SLI even with the dual PSU. The problem actually started with 780M SLI and the only way to stop it was to use an older driver. My theory is that NVIDIA started adding some kind of code in their drivers that added a layer of communication with the Compal EC and something in the Compal EC was set to a lower than appropriate value (perhaps a power cap value designed for the wrong laptop) that never mattered in the past.

Have you tried any of the tricks that worked for 980M SLI, like putting the laptop to sleep for a minute or two, then waking it up? I think there was also another temporary workaround, but cannot remember what it was. I think (assume) that doing that temporarily severed communication between the EC firmware and NVIDIA driver with respect to a total system power cap.

One thing I never thought of testing was using the oldest version of AWCC (like the first release version) for the M18xR2 to see if that had any effect on the behavior. If I am not mistaken, AWCC had some sort of communication with the EC.

MagicMike likes this.
  3. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did try a few methods like cycling between iGPU and SG in BIOS but none of them worked. The two times I have been able to get it to work without throttling was:
    * using Section 160 rather than 18 within the nvdmi.inf (kudos to DaMafiaGamer, such a helpful fellow!)
    * changing nvidia global 3d settings, power management mode, to "prefer maximum performance" from whatever the default is

But after restarting the system the GPU would start throttling again...and even reinstalling the drivers or making sure the power management thing is set to a correct setting it would still throttle anyway.

Now, I have just tried your method of making it go to sleep and then waking up...and oh boy did it work, thanks for the tip!:) 5.1k in TimeSpy (no overclock on CPU or GPU).

With the rear of the laptop on bottle caps the temps in 3dmark have been reasonable too, max of 78 for CPU and 76 for GPU.

I have switched the laptop off, and on, and it still works, not sure how long though:)

Whilst it works I have run FireStrike and got 12.2k so that's probably not too shabby either.

The weird thing is HWINFO still says "yes" next to Performance Limit - Power which it did when it throttled too...

I dont really use AWCC so might actually uninstall it, what's your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Great, I am glad to hear that this helped. I would uninstall AWCC and see if the behavior changes. It may be that putting it to sleep and waking it up again temporarily disrupts whatever communication link is causing the undesirable throttling behavior.

MagicMike, Maxware79 and Papusan like this.
  5. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I will try that later definitely and also the dual psu mod if I can get one cheap enough.

Thanks again man, much appreciated!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You do not need dual PSU mod for a single 1070. 330w should be more than enough even overclocked.

I am running 3920XM @ 4.4Ghz with 2x 780M SLI and no issues.

Try the things from this thread and see if it helps (NOTE, REPLACE PEG MODE WITH SG MODE, everything else should be the same)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/780m-sli-throttle-m18xr2.829574/

MagicMike likes this.
  7. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Weirdly enough it seems the sleep & wake trick from Mr.Fox has so far been permanent and I have not had any throttling issues since.

When I say no throttling issues, i mean no visible drop in frame rates in Time Spy, however HWInfo still triggers a Yes in Performance Limit - Power...so yeah, not sure why that is.

I haven't tried overclocking my 3920XM yet, so it's running stock clocks, not sure I am going to see much of a gain in games like Witcher 3, I guess mostly benchmarks would see the difference.

I have read your thread but will refrain from trying anything new right now as it doesnt seem to be throttling anymore.

Do you have upgraded cooling for the cpu to run at such high clocks? I have the triple pipe heatsink so it's running reasonably cool at a max of 75C (under gaming or benchmark load).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    This is what I have always used for laptop overclocking when I was still doing that.

I have since moved to desktops and use a water chiller... like this.

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you ever remove the bottom base cover on the M18x when overclocking?

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    For mild overclocks (up to 4.4Ghz) I just use the stock cooling in the laptop

For higher overclocks (4.7Ghz) I use AC Cooling like @Mr. Fox

If it's not throttling then leave it as is and enjoy

MagicMike and Papusan like this.