*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 Benchmark Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 31, 2013.

1. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @thebigdawg Something else to check, in "advanced power settings" check that maximum processor state is set at 100%

If that's still no good, I have read that updating Intel thermal platform (or Intel Dynamic platform and thermal framework) solved extreme throttling like you have having, so that would also be worth a shot. Seeing as there are no Windows 10 drivers for the M18x R2 it might worth un-installing the Intel thermal platform and see if that makes any difference before installing the latest windows 8/8.1 drivers from dell drivers website.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas aside from using Throttlestop

2. thebigdawg

thebigdawg Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks again kenny,

i did some searches based on your advice and on one post there was a suggestion to someone in a similar situation, also going with your idea of throttleStop.

'The most likely cause of this problem is a bad sensor on your motherboard. When a sensor goes bad, it can send a signal to your CPU which will force your CPU to start thermal throttling and running at its lowest speed even though your CPU temperature is fine.
    To test for this problem with ThrottleStop, you need to disable the BD PROCHOT function. Make sure that box is not checked. Disabling BD PROCHOT disables this signal path to your CPU. Your CPU will still thermal throttle just like normal if it gets too hot regardless of any setting in ThrottleStop but it will ignore any outside signals to throttle.'

well doing this it instantly jumped from its usual 800 MHz up to 3292 MHz and under load to 3606 MHz.

im going to try your first suggestion tho in relation to the intel thermal platform drivers and see if this is the origin of the problem but at least now i have an option open to me to get the cpu up to its max speeds.
    ill update here if that turns out to be the root of the problem for anyone else who might encounter this problem.

anyway, thanks again kenny, i really appreciate all your help.

kenny27 likes this.
  3. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @thebigdawg your welcome, anytime.

At least your computer is usable for the short term, Thanks for quoting what you found that is some good information on what the BD PROCHOT function does.

If you could update us that would be sweet.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you have the svl7 or swick unlocked BIOS mods you can (and should) disable BDPROCHOT in the BIOS and turn off all sensors on the CPU Thermal Configuration menu. Max out the other settings right above the sensors as well. Doing all of those things should stop thermal throttling. The CPU will still shut down the system if it hits the thermal trip point, but it should then run full blast without thermal throttling until shutdown.

5. thebigdawg

thebigdawg Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks Mr.Fox ill install those mods and give it a try. sorry for late reply but i was away 10 days. on the bright side when i returned home my new heat sinc had been delivered so i can now finally install the 3940xm i got a few months back.
    just wondering, should i try all this before i upgrade the cpu to make sure its all working or does it really matter? i found your vids on youtube on disassembly of the m18x, its really helpful!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter. Just to stuff in stages and test in between to make troubleshooting (if any) as simplified as possible.

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What is the fastest stable memory for the M18x R2 again? I'd like to step up from 1600 MHZ. I remember coming across a post here describing some 2133 MHz memory running stable out of the box but when I looked up that model nothing came back.

8. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I might have a deal on 780M SLI, is it worth the upgrade from 680M SLI? What kind of performance improvement percentage wise are we looking at? I'm actually completely over 2GB of VRAM to be honest.

Edit:

Going by Mr. Fox's Firestrike scores on page 1 here it looks to be a worthwhile investment if I can get a bargain. Looking at a 20% improvement, with Firestrike GPU going from 12k to 14.6k. Real world performance can be gleaned from the detailed scores, Graphics Test 1 goes from 58 to 71 FPS and Combined from 15 to 19 FPS.

Combined goes from 3300 to 4100, a nearly 25% improvement.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/863376

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2330540

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If not Ngreedia gimp the overclocked performance further.