*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 Benchmark Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ah, so it affects bench when turned on, because the max fps is locked to the display's maximum physical refresh rate?

I mean, if a disable is all it takes to run benches properly. I don't see how it can be an issue. But considering that g-sync turns itself on and off it could be annoying.

Thanks for the input though.

2. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    G-Stink doesn't limit framerate! It's actually pretty amazing! Basically, you have V-Sync off, without it's input lag, and no screen tearing or stutter! The framerate is completely unaffected! If your display will do 100Hz overclocked then that's what you will get with G-Sync.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's not what my benchmarks and gameplay experience shows. Plus, overclocking the display to 100MHz would not be enough. I would need to overclock it higher than my max FPS in benchmarks to avoid framerate limiting and score degradation, but the screen cannot overclock to more than 200MHz. I always have V-STINK disabled in NVCP (and in-game when playing games). If I run 3DMark 11 or Fire Strike with G-STINK enabled and V-STINK turned off the framerate is still capped and the scores are low. With both disabled they run wild and free. Not a big deal though, I just disable both and my machine works the way I want it to. I'd prefer to just not have it because that would be more convenient than disabling it manually. Gaming is a small part of how I use my systems in the grand scheme of things. I might appreciate it more if I played all of the time and screen tearing was more of an issue to me. It is very rare that I find screen tearing or stuttering to be an issue, so I don't really need it.

4. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I figured the FPS limiting your benches is why you don't like G-Sync. Although, are you certain G-Sync is limited to 75Hz if you OC the display to 100Hz?

5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I think you misunderstood. Gsync will still work if you overclock the display to 100hz. But that's a speed limit ol'foxy don't want.

I've used Gsync for a couple of games now and I'm pretty unimpressed to be honest. I think it's visual value on games above 90fps is minuscule at best. It's a welcome addition but it should be open and free. If I were shopping for a new high refresh monitor I probably wouldn't care if it didn't have Gsync now I've experienced it.

6. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its interesting how some people love gsync and others couldn't care less, for me I think its great, tearing is gone and so is input lag, both of which I really dislike. I just turn it off in Nvidia control panel for benchmark programs and every thing is good!

TBoneSan likes this.
  7. thebigdawg

thebigdawg Newbie

Reputations:
    im hoping this is the correct thread for this.... i need some advice on an absolutely terrible benchmark...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11340114

initially it wouldnt pick up the 2nd gpu and was giving an even worse score. the gpu's - radeon 7970m's are both running at stock speeds.
    the Intel Core i7-2860QM Processor however seems to give a maximum turbo core clock of 798MHz to 800MHz in each of the numerous benchmarks ive carried out, well under the stock speeds.
    the psu is 330w so there shouldnt be an issue with an loss of power, power option is set to high performance.
    all gpu drivers are up to date im also running windows 10 OS from a fresh install.

i have a 3940xm to swap in whenever i can manage to source the heatsincs but until then id like to get this operating as it should.

8. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep you in the right spot.

Your CPU underclock is definitely the reason for the low scores, what sort of temperature is your cpu running at both idle and load?

Also something to double check is; if you have you done any cpu overclocking (throttlestop, XTU or bios) that you haven't accidentally applied a really low turbo multiplayer or power setting such as TDP, package power limit or current (pri-plane in the bios)

9. thebigdawg

thebigdawg Newbie

Reputations:
    hi kenny, thanks for your reply.

i ran 3dmark 11 a few more times and at idle my cpu temp is 40-42 degrees and at load its only up to 63 degrees.

i havent done any cpu overclocking, the only thing i tried in the bios was to change the intel speedstep, ive tried it both enabled and disabled but there wasnt any change in results.

10. thebigdawg

thebigdawg Newbie

Reputations:
    just another update, i did a bios reset in case anything had been changed in it by myself in error, however the results are still the same, the processor speed still wont pass 800