*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18x Benchmark Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No worries, bro. It might have been so busy at work that I missed it when it was mentioned here on the forum. I discovered IXTU totally by accident last night.

It certainly perked up the 2760QM a bit. Using IXTU, I can adjust some of the TurboBoost settings higher than A05 will let me. After changing them with IXTU they are changed in the BIOS, too. It seems the maximum values available for selection in the TurboBoost settings menus with A05 are lower than the maximum values available with A03, but IXTU overcame those A05 BIOS limitations.

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    TBH, I didnt know of it till Fox told me. Im a total noob.

3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    *facepalm* on me!

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Double facepalm on ma'self! :eek:

5. MAITAI

MAITAI Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hola Fox.... Since we pretty much have the same computer. Please share your bios settings with me (top to bottom). You can send me a PM if you like.
    Also this batch OC file you attached, how do i use this? Also I am on a04 (dell)
    I see you are using a05- any benefit? Is it the standard one? Any benefit from a04?

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    If you are using the the 580m setup...Then you are fine where you are now.
    Also, you can get allot of help from Mr Fox's thread here. That's if you haven't checked it out already.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-throttle-fix-no-vbios-flashing-required.html
    And for over clocking a non extreme cpu...You can use the bclk slider in xtu. With your cpu, you should be able to over clock to about 1.05 or 1.06 without doing anything out of the ordinary.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No problema, señorita.

For the batch file the instructions are exactly the same as what I have posted at the link in my signature. You're simply using a different batch file to run at higher clock speeds. Instead of setting it up to launch at startup, you can simply store it in the folder with the other batch files and nvidiainspector and send a shortcut to the desktop to launch it on demand. In fact, I only use the 620-1240.bat file in the startup folder, as it is basically perfect for daily use and gaming.

The only value I can find in A05 with my NVIDIA 580M setup is the NUMLOCK state is on at boot. It is defaulted to off with older BIOS versions and no way to change it. DPC latency seems to be an issue with both A04 and A05. I have all BIOS versions saved and may go back to A03... I am debating whether to leave it alone and live with the DPC issue because the NUMLOCK thing makes me really happy. I don't see any point in you flashing A05 unless you prefer NUMLOCK to be on by default. If you still had AMD cards, then I would recommend moving to A05.

Now for the BIOS settings...
    My system refuses to boot with the BCLK at 105 or higher. I am having good results with 104.8 (10477). My previous M18x ran very stable at 106MHz with the i7-2720QM CPU and 6990M CrossFire, but it may have been the A03 BIOS that allowed it.
    [​IMG]
    You can use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead of entering the BIOS. A link to download was provided in another post this morning. This is easier, but you'll need to reboot in most cases to apply new CPU settings. If the settings choke your system, this utility will give you the option of restoring previous settings. I think this is a very slick utility and recommend using it instead of changing setting from within the BIOS. I'm leaving all the memory settings at auto defaults. Increasing voltage to 1.55 and 1.60 from 1.50 and manually setting speeds at 1600 or higher offered no advantage in benchmarks. No point in pushing things when doing so doesn't serve a purpose and yield no results.
    [​IMG]

8. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    just a test run using the fox fix and his latest batch file too. wanted to see if gpu is up to par and it look good so far both gpu maxxed out at 73 degrees.:D

Attached Files:

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Nice gpu score Inap!

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Excellent, inap! Nice bench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.