*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18x Benchmark Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I use the pea-sized method rather than spreading it across the die to help minimize the scratches. Diamonds are definitely harder than metal, LOL. Removing old ICD24 from the die using a razor blade instead of rubbing it off also helps.

2. ivander_atmojo

ivander_atmojo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info inap! Does discoloration have any negative impact? I'll definitely do the pea method!

3. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    no impact that i know of, just thought it was worth noting. icd24 is great in a single application, but if you like to tinker around or often taking off the heatsinks then i would recommend a different paste to minimize the risk of scratching your die.

4. ivander_atmojo

ivander_atmojo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No man, i wont be opening it for at least another 6 month at least

5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Technically...You should be fine. Just run the system the way it was meant to (with c states in place) and all will be fine on stock paste. The stuff dell uses now is pretty damn good.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I agree... the TIM Alienware uses is good stuff. I haven't seen any need to re-paste as the temps are already just fine.

7. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Totally agree fox...

8. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Agreed, Dell uses some nice TIM. I've only repasted my 4 year old Inspiron 1720 since I had to clean and put in a new CPU and my M17x R2 since I benched that a ton and swapped most parts. But every other dell system I won hasn't been repasted. That includes my M11x.

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Hey DR. Question.
    What did you use to put your 3rd hard drive in your M17X R2 and where did you get the en-closer. Also, do you think it would work on the M18x R1, thanks.

10. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:

Yea, it'll definately work. Fox and I were talking about it in another thread. He put his R2 optical drive in the 18x, so my enclosure should work. It's all linked in my sig. Let me dig up the link were I bought it from...Here's the HDD caddy and here is the enclosure. The enclosure should come with both a slot load and tray load bezel. In case it doesn't you can get a slot load bezel from here.

The felt put on the bezels to keep dust out is crap. I bought a bezel from mac recycling before I got the enclosure and both were the same crappy felt. I just pulled it off so it wouldnt scratch discs. It seemed to tight and low quality. But my enclosure came with both (slot/tray) bezels which I didn't realize when ordering. Didn't even see it in the box.

moar space!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.