*Official Alienware M18x AMD CrossFire Discussion Thread (re: Dell/AW Conference Call)*

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. residualvoltage

residualvoltage Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see John, I didn't realize Speedfan did the Dell Ec too or even first for that matter. For those who used or wanted to try Hwinfo for manual and automatic custom fan control we can now use the Dell EC or Compal EC (previously the only method in Hwinfo).

For the new method Dell EC check SW SMI in Hwinfo Config and uncheck LPC & EC Support + EC-ACPI Synchronization. Or vice versa leave SW SMI unchecked and check LPC & EC Support + EC-ACPI Synchronization to use the Compal EC.

For mobile systems like these make sure to uncheck GPU I2C... Both are checked by default and pertain only to desktop video cards. The new beta is now available at HWinfo.com now and a possible feature that may be added soon is Hysteresis... Which is as follows. You can set 55c trigger point for medium fan speed and fans of below that... to prevent constant on and off with a feature like Hysteresis one can set like 5c so 55c would trigger medium fan but to make sure system stayed cool for longer the fan would stay at medium till temp dropped full 5 degrees to 50c... So therefore preventing constant fan on and off... Kind of like heaters work... This feature is not added yet but is a future possibility.

2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    ok RV, will give it a try.

3. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Should? Not necessarily. If it ain't broke...

Lame initial reply sent. If there is a thread specific to this issue, please link me to it or start a new one if you don't mind.

4. alienwolf

alienwolf Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All Hail the great Bill B and his Team for doing what customer service could not.
    FIX my system, the A05 worked great thanks had just got off the phone with CS and refused to send it back, glade I did ..thanks again.:D

5. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    hahah. I had very little to do with the actual work. I'm just the communicator. But thanks for the kind sentiment. :)

6. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good Job Bill! Thank you so much! For people like you it is worth to pay 4000€ for a laptop. :)

7. chillbill

chillbill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im sad i sent mine back on monday

8. iPhantomhives

iPhantomhives Click the image to change your avatar.

Reputations:
    Thanks dell for those driver & bios A05 :D

9. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As with all major updates which address a specific issue, I've created a sticky for A05. Please use it for feedback/any new issues - this will make it easier for Dell to track/access (better than having to sort through this very long thread...)

The sticky thread is up and currently locked. Once the BIOS has pushed out on the support site, I'll add the link.

Any additional info for post#1 of the sticky thread, PM me.

Thanks.

10. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    It's pushed. It is just not in the correct place due to migrating off of iDrive and onto Agile. We have not worked through some issues with posting files. Heck, until like a week ago, we couldn't post anything. This is the best workaround we can come up with for now.

Repeating to be perfectly clear: The BIOS I linked to is the official Dell BIOS A05 for M18x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.