*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    If you wanna spend money on a cooling pad that's up to you. Personally I just use bottle caps and it works great. :)

Sent from my Asus Transformer tf101 running Revolver 4

2. SoulWitcher

SoulWitcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bootmgr missing .... I tried a reinstall but windows can't pick up my hard drive? Help please.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fixed it! :) I disabled Intel rapid storage in the bios, and did a windows repair re enabled it rapid storage, and now all is well :)

65C is pretty cool, When I got my laptop, I was surprised the temps were so low! You won't really have any problems with over heating etc. If the cooling pad gives you peace at mind go for it! or if you can get one cheap! (Got a coolermaster ergonomic stand for 2$ ;) )

but bottle caps would do the job :)

3. nkdv

nkdv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed. Get the Notepal U2 instead of the U3 for $20 off of Amazon, return it in a few days if you don't think it works :p but it will, it has its rep for a reason. I'm getting mine in the mail tomorrow lol.
    Its cheaper than the U3 and will work similarly, and you can always get a higher-powered thermaltake fan to attach to the chassis for around $10.

Cooling pads work, depending on usage.. just don't expect instant refrigeration :rolleyes:

4. Drag0nite

Drag0nite Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting. I think what I'll do is wait for the laptop to arrive (supposedly tomorrow, called in and talked to a sales rep), play with it for a few days and monitor the temps. If they seem fine with the bottle caps, then I'll hold on the cooling pad. Thanks for all your help guys :) I'll post if I have any troubles with it once it arrives.

5. kakaroth1977

kakaroth1977 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks ,

can you please post a ssd bench and compare with the same ssd on r3 and r4?

It is for verify that the sata controller works good on R4 (or better than the R3) :D

6. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can only do the R4 I have now if that is any use for you to find comparisons just let me know what bench is best? I never went down the path of benching the SSD. I did run something once on the R3 that reported I was running in SATA2 so I backrevved the BIOS to A08 and it showed as SATA3 so I never went any further.

I can say this one takes around 5 seconds longer to load windows though. Probably just some windows thing but the R3 would jump to the desktop just before the windows logo finished 'assembling'. This one few seconds longer.:confused:

7. Sleeper2112

Sleeper2112 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just saw the Verge's review of the R4, and in the photos of it the Intel and Windows sticker were on the palmrest.

That's ... classy.

8. Hookerlips

Hookerlips Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with the classiness of that positioning... So I moved them gently to underneath the battery. Little alcohol and no trace they were ever there.

9. S8V8GE

S8V8GE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have posted this in another thread but theres more people in here to help

ive just ordered a M17X R4 with the 3820QM ivy bridge i7, 16GB RAM, and the 2GB 7970M GPU....

payments gone through and its now in production and then i go and hear that the 680M will be an option within the next month... bad move or good move to order the 7970M?!

from what im reading the 680M will offer 5-10% more than what the 7970M will!yet the 7970M offers better overclocking potential (which i would prefer not to do as im not confident enough in my abilities to overclock safely) so if im not going to be overclocking the 7970M should i have waited for the 680M which sounds more 'noob' friendly or have i made a good purchase?

how good a system have i ordered really and for how long will i be playing new release games for? 1 years,2 years, 3 years...? as tech seems to move quickly!!

i guess after spending £3000+ im hoping that the machine i have ordered is more than a match for 50+ fps in BF3 and will be future proof for at least 4 years playing new release games (far cry3, crysis 3 etc etc) before ultimatly i move over to a desktop which i hope to build myself!

so im calling on the pro's in the forums to give me a heads up lamens term explanation! rep+ for any help!! cheers in advance.

10. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations: