*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sadly even the cap is too tall to fit under the gpu :/

2. MismoYT

MismoYT Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new in this forum, and first of all, sorry for my english, I'll try my best :D
    I have bought an m17x r4 recently, with the 3d 120Hz screen and the gtx 680m. I was planning to update it to a gtx 980m, do you recommend it to me? And if I buy it, can I ask here for a little help?

3. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Absolutely, mate, however since you've got a 120Hz screen, if you still haven't bought the 980M, why not go the extra mile and get a 1070M or a Quadro P4000/P5000?
    If you already have the card (BTW, which variant? If it's the 8GB then most likely you'll have memory chips to cool on both sides, it would be good to get an x-bracket that covers at least half of the bottom ones), then it should be fairly easy - If I recall correctly, it should run plug and play with PEG mode, as for the drivers, you can either stick with letting Windows install them (however Microsoft drivers for nvidia cards are something like 356.xx version from 2015/16) or let us know and we'll show you how to modify drivers to run and how to force Windows to not get sassy and let you install them :)

Otherwise - welcome! Where are you from? :)

stinger608 and MismoYT like this.
  4. MismoYT

MismoYT Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to buy the 1070, but can't afford at the moment hahahaha
    Yes, I was thinking to take the 8GB one, so I have to buy an X bracket, plug and first search for drivers with the windows tool to see if everything is all right, and then modify the lastest drivers?
    Thank you for the welcome, I'm from spain :D

5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you need modified drivers to install them with an "unsupported" graphics card like the 980M, I think you should be able to buy a 1060 instead, I think they are near the price of the 980M while consuming less power

MismoYT likes this.
  6. MismoYT

MismoYT Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the advice, but I bought the 980M just a few hours ago hahaha
    All right, and with the BIOS? Because I have it in legacy mode, and I read something in other sites of having to reinstall windows in UEFI

7. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After recent patches Windows is able to install these cards, like I've mentioned before, but with older drivers. However for peak performance, a modified driver will be necessary.

Can't recall if Maxwell cards need UEFI, for that I suggest digging into threads about that model on the forum, however I suggest a clean install in UEFI, because it is superior in booting speed, amongst other things

MismoYT likes this.
  8. MismoYT

MismoYT Newbie

Reputations:
    All right, so I'll start with the clean install on UEFI, when I have the 980M in my hands I tell you so you help me a little more with modifying drivers. Thank you very much :)