*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Put pads on the VRM, regardless if its stock or not never run anything when your VRM is not cooled, you can run your CPU, your GPU core without any form of heatsink on it for 5 minutes just fine but VRM? No, never it can get permanent damage from just 5 minutes of load.
    You see that the heatsink is shaped in a way that allows you to fix a cooling pad on the VRM area, there is a reason for this most likely the factory forgot to put the pads on the heatsink on the VRM area, this CAN happen but rare or it fell off which is more likely.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  2. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've organised the pads so every power part has a pad as well as the VRMs. It's anointing the GTX 770M doesn't have a VRM sensor but I put my K type thermal couple near the VRMs and touching the heatsink at that end while playing BF:BC2 and the temps were around 65°C and GPU was also at 65°C, the VRM end was hotter to the touch than the GPU pipes so I would assume the VRMs are probably around the 70°C ish area.

SMGJohn and Robbo99999 like this.
  3. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if it would be relatively easy to swap a M17X R3 board with a R4 in a M17X R3 machine?

5. Sentarshi

Sentarshi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There should be no issues mate I have both cases and both boards I will check later today ports placement if there is no difference it should not be a problem

6. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Both the R3 & R4 use the same shell/case so you should have no issues. :)

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any daughter boards I should be worrying about?

8. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The M17x R3 & R4 are both the same PCB shape, it is all one piece, no daughter boards. As far as I know, both the R3 & R4 are exactly the same parts & shape except different hardware on the motherboard itself such as newer chipset & the addition of an mSATA slot for an SSD (under the left side palm rest) on the R4. :)

I think you'll need a 3rd gen CPU for the R4 as the R3 is 2nd gen & I'm not 100% sure if your R3 GPU will work in the R4 without some tinkering, other members will have to chip in here, I don't think a 2nd gen CPU will work in the 3rd gen R4.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    M18x-oldie likes this.
  9. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would you? Both Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and Ivy Bridge (3rd Gen) support each others as they are both Socket G2 for the mobile platforms.
    Why not just stick a i7-3920XM in there?

And before anyone denies this, I have personally taken a Dell laptop with a 2nd gen Sandy Bridge mid range i5 and stuck a i7-3940XM in there and it worked although it got toasty as a bloody furnace

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
  10. Sentarshi

Sentarshi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    R3 board has HM67 and does not support ivy bridge

M18x-oldie likes this.