*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. Sentarshi

Sentarshi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Planning to upgrade my r4 to 1060. Currently has CPU 3610 does it worth it to spend 200$ and upgrade to 3920/3940xm?

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am sorry about your loss, there were no thermal pads on that section of the GPU?
    If you want a GOOD replacement that is well priced I highly recommend the WX 7100 which will work on LVDS and eDP screens just fine, the yet even cheaper Radeon W7170M should also work.

The i7-3920XM are excellent upgrade the 3940XM is rarely worth it unless you can get a good price for it considering the 3920XM can easily be OC to the level of the 3940XM as they are both unlocked.
    If you want a faster GPU that is cheaper than the 1060, the WX 7100 is worth a good try as it works now with eDP panels and 120Hz in the R3 and R4 laptops.

The Area 51m is "good" as long as you never overclock it LOL and can afford it.
    Its extremely overpriced in my opinion and sadly very bad speakers which is a shame considering Alienware usually have had the best laptop speakers hands down for a decade.
    The VRM on the 51m is very bad specially on the 2080 as its not cooled by the main heatsink and has little to no airflow to it. But if you keep it stock speeds, its gonna live a long life, also you might want to delid the 9900k in it and liquid metal it as it gets 99 degrees hot on loads, unacceptable by any standards.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    VoodooChild and M18x-oldie like this.
  3. Sentarshi

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply! But as I see on eBay wx7100 is very close on the price to 1060 whit is real good price for it?

4. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    The WX 7100 is arguably a much better choice because it can be flashed by vBIOS to Rx 480 and get full access to all the gaming driver updates. It can also be EASILY overclocked through Wattman or other software and be +10% faster than 1060, I have yet to receive my 120Hz display which I will get this week, then I will do some benchmark tests with it to push the WX 7100 as far as possible.

With the 1060 you need a programmer and flash the edited vBIOS to the GPU BIOS chip itself. I assume since you want the 1060 you also going to get the 120Hz Samsung display upgrade?
    Taobao also has the best deals on the WX 7100, from time to time I seen them go for 200 dollars on there, use agents like Bhiner or whatever else (Google them) but I use Bhiner because of all the shipping options I get it also accepts PayPal which is handy and Transferwise.
    1060 is a good card, but the WX 7100 is much better, only consumes 10W more in stock configurations yet produces similar or better performance in many instances.

M18x-oldie and Sentarshi like this.
  5. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I believe the thermal pad for that VRM had fallen along side the chip when reapplying the heatsink as it was a long, thin pad.

I have 2x GTX 770M from a dead AW 18 and I put one 770M in & I got a white screen with 8 beeps, so I put the other 770M in and it boots to windows and shows as basic display adapter.

6. Sentarshi

Reputations:
    I already have 120hz screen panel in my AW17x R4:)

7. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've successfully got my GTX 770M installed and working in the M17x R4 after the 675M VRM explosion, however the GTX770M does not have VRM temps showing in HWinfo64 like the GTX675M did, is there another way to view VRM temps or does this card not have VRM censors?

8. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    If it does not show up it does not have one, I assume you removed your older 675M drivers with DDU in safe mode.
    As long as you make sure you got good cooling on the VRM on the card there should never be an issue, just make sure you use BRAND new thermal pads, buy them from eBay get the blue ones they sell them all sorts of sizes, better too thick than too thin.
    6z2t6UP.jpg

M18x-oldie likes this.
  9. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I only selected clean install during the nvidia installer.

This is the GTX770M heasink and thermal pad placement from the Alienware 18 it came from, it does not have pads on the VRM chips, only the coils. The second picture is of the stock pads from an AW 18 from a YouTube video, not sure what his card is but the pad placement is the same with no pads on the VRM chips, I assume that's ok as it's the stock layout but what do you think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Stock layout always has Pads on the VRMs, all AWs, mine and other people's, I've opened up had a long thin strip on the VRMs, factory stock.

SMGJohn likes this.