*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. allienhead191

allienhead191 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys

does anyone know what is the best GPU to upgrade to with also having 120hz screen working on windows 7? dont mind windows 10 but heard peoples LCD going bad on win10?

ty

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been trying to get my 1060N 6GB to work in my Alienware M17x R4 however just like with the Clevo P150EM the laptop recognises the card fine, the drivers installs fine however once you restart after the driver installation the screen goes black you can still see your cursor strangely.
    Now on the Clevo this was simply driver issues, nVidia being the greatest software engineers on the planet, trying out literally 7 different drivers finally finding some that worked and the 1060N ran fine in the P150EM.

In the Alienware the same issue occurs but I have tried 11 drivers and none of them works, I can still see the cursor, the laptop recognises the card without an issue, GPU-Z can even detect the temperature on it and I can control fan speed, no problem whatsoever except the screen going black and you only get the cursor, this is clearly a driver issue or something being blocked.

I have a LVDS screen on my laptop I have not yet gotten the eDP because I am unsure which cable I need there one for 3D but I do not know if it will work with any eDP displays so there is that.
    Does anyone of you guys have any clue to this issue? I suspect its a BIOS block or something preventing me to use the card, or perhaps the card wont work on LVDS?

3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Are you running in SG Mode ?

4. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I do not have the PEG or SG mode option in BIOS, do I need a custom BIOS for the M17x R4?

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You don't have unlocked bios ? Unlock the bios if you don't have it, and you will have those options.

SMGJohn likes this.
  6. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Do you have the A13 unlocked BIOS? I been trying to look everywhere for it I can only find people talking about it.

7. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All I could find is A11 unlocked. If neededi can send you all files needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    If you can I be much appreciated, I need to downgrade since I am on A14 currently

9. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Attached Files:

SMGJohn likes this.
  10. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Thanks mate, extremely helpful so tired of having to keep using 17 forums and make 50 approved posts in them daily just to get download approval.
    I am still contemplating whether to obtain the WX7100 or the 1070 from China since I do have the modified heatsink for it, does anyone know if the 1070 Geocube or MSI ones work with LVDS screens? The only 17.3 inch monitors that have RGB LED backlighting are LVDS and not eDP, either switcheble or PEG mode, I would assume LVDS should work in switchable mode but not with PEG.