*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi, a lot depends on how much work (and research) you are prepared to do :rolleyes:.

If you have the 680m then first thing is to overclock/overvolt it. Over a 25% speed increase is not difficult to achieve. Without needing to flash a modified BIOS or mod the driver the 680m is the best plug and play card the machine supports, and it (with some overclocking) is still able to play the latest titles albeit at lower settings. Comparing with my Sli 980m machine it's all about the small details that make up the overall picture, if you never see them you never miss them!

For the very best, there is a 1060 card that can be made to fit but I suggest you seek out user @woodzstack who I have seen being very helpful with supplies and parts for more info :).

Retro_UK likes this.
  2. Retro_UK

Retro_UK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies :) Basically I have been playing Train Sim World on my Xbox and it reminded me how much I used to enjoy playing Rail Simulator on my laptop. But with each yearly update, it got more sluggish.

The overclocking suggestion may actually just give me the little boost I need to get some more performance from the game. It runs pretty cool at the moment to be honest, and I use it with one of those cooling tray thingies, which really does help keep the temperature (and fan speed) down quite a lot.

I'll do some research though just to see. I'm not too bad at getting my hands dirty messing around with stuff once I have a reasonable idea of what I'm doing :)

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried the AMD Radeon Rx 480/580 or the Radeon WX7100 MXM card in the Alienware M17x R3/R4? Or the W7170M (M390X) ?

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not that I can recall.

5. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, how is Windows 10 on the R4? I'm looking to update my R4 but last time I heard about Winows 10 on our series there were people getting their LCD killed and I can't afford to replace it, it that issue sorted and are there any requirements needed for Windows 10 or are all drivers auto det

6. Johndill

Reputations:
    I have the 675M :)

7. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have upgraded on when win10 was released to win10 pro and no problems. All drivers should be automatically installed or tranferred from win7/8/8.1. The only problem I had was with Alienware OSD which disabled vol+ vol- and mute buttons on keayboard, so I had uninstalled OSD and working great. Win 10 experience is much bettter than win7/8.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Argg, looks like mine had ditched the panel!!! My machine was on auto-update and always on as a media server, I just looked at it after the latest windows update and no panel.....
    EDIT: A bios drain fixed it - go figure. Anyhoo,

WIN10 was a smooth upgrade for me and I much prefer it. There were a few issues around display driver updates getting stuck in a loop with nvidia updates but not a biggie and easily fixed.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. Johndill

Reputations:
    What is causing the LCD damage issues? That's my main concern :-S

10. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone using cooling pad for your AW? When fans kicking on it's quite loud.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk