*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not that I can recall.

2. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, how is Windows 10 on the R4? I'm looking to update my R4 but last time I heard about Winows 10 on our series there were people getting their LCD killed and I can't afford to replace it, it that issue sorted and are there any requirements needed for Windows 10 or are all drivers auto det

3. Johndill

Reputations:
    I have the 675M :)

4. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have upgraded on when win10 was released to win10 pro and no problems. All drivers should be automatically installed or tranferred from win7/8/8.1. The only problem I had was with Alienware OSD which disabled vol+ vol- and mute buttons on keayboard, so I had uninstalled OSD and working great. Win 10 experience is much bettter than win7/8.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Argg, looks like mine had ditched the panel!!! My machine was on auto-update and always on as a media server, I just looked at it after the latest windows update and no panel.....
    EDIT: A bios drain fixed it - go figure. Anyhoo,

WIN10 was a smooth upgrade for me and I much prefer it. There were a few issues around display driver updates getting stuck in a loop with nvidia updates but not a biggie and easily fixed.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Johndill

Reputations:
    What is causing the LCD damage issues? That's my main concern :-S

7. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone using cooling pad for your AW? When fans kicking on it's quite loud.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. allienhead191

allienhead191 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys

does anyone know what is the best GPU to upgrade to with also having 120hz screen working on windows 7? dont mind windows 10 but heard peoples LCD going bad on win10?

ty

9. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been trying to get my 1060N 6GB to work in my Alienware M17x R4 however just like with the Clevo P150EM the laptop recognises the card fine, the drivers installs fine however once you restart after the driver installation the screen goes black you can still see your cursor strangely.
    Now on the Clevo this was simply driver issues, nVidia being the greatest software engineers on the planet, trying out literally 7 different drivers finally finding some that worked and the 1060N ran fine in the P150EM.

In the Alienware the same issue occurs but I have tried 11 drivers and none of them works, I can still see the cursor, the laptop recognises the card without an issue, GPU-Z can even detect the temperature on it and I can control fan speed, no problem whatsoever except the screen going black and you only get the cursor, this is clearly a driver issue or something being blocked.

I have a LVDS screen on my laptop I have not yet gotten the eDP because I am unsure which cable I need there one for 3D but I do not know if it will work with any eDP displays so there is that.
    Does anyone of you guys have any clue to this issue? I suspect its a BIOS block or something preventing me to use the card, or perhaps the card wont work on LVDS?

10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Are you running in SG Mode ?