*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Or was it 'learned'? Haha. I was my company's English pedant for formal docs intended for the UK from the US division...

Glad to see you still watch this thread :)

Robbo99999 likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, thanks again! ;-)

3. ggwpware

ggwpware Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I own a R4 and it has been giving me a single beep on boot since last year. It can boot into Windows sometimes, and the success rate is lesser and lesser gradually. Does this mean a blind flash is not necessary because it may be a bad motherboard? (Not caused by corrupted bios) So far I couldn't get past the POST yet.

It seems that a blind flash won't work now as I cannot find any .fd file inside BIOS .exe. I bought it on 2013, so I assume the current BIOS is the latest version? Downgrading it to A05 will be a bad idea right? As only A05 has the .fd file. I want to avoid blind flashing as much as possible as I'm afraid of bricking it.

(Sorry for my bad english)

4. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds good! Let me know how it goes :)

5. cammot11

cammot11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where are the images for the BIOS chips location?

6. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, this was a 120hz model and there were a few issues getting the inf to work, but the latest driver installed and worked. (pre-391.01)

Unfortunately the guy dropped the convo at the testing point! All I do know is that heaven 4 did start to throttle after around 15 mins but that was probably down to pads/paste as the 780m is kinda fussy and inclined to run hot. The game he was (and probably disappeared back into, haha) playing was PUBG and he was getting over 45fps but I don't know the settings so I can only assume the drivers are fine??

7. jimmy_grimble

jimmy_grimble Newbie

Reputations:
  8. HunterZ0

HunterZ0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Intel-SA-00086 on 17R3 update:

Alienware support messaged me on Twitter to say that their techs could only help me if I mailed in my laptop. I told them that was a no-go because 1) this laptop is my daily driver, and 2) it's out of warranty.

Will ping Intel again in another week, and if they can't help I'll go the DIY route suggested here.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Retro_UK

Retro_UK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello again you lovely helpful people :) I was wondering what is the best GPU I could stick into my M17X R4 with the 60hz screen in it? Bear in mind that I'm a clueless chump when it comes to these things, so bear that in mind and address me like I'm a child :D

10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    GTX 980M I think, not sure if GTX 1060 ever worked. I think there's threads here on these forums about it, and probably over on Tech Inferno. I can't remember the specifics of how you get it working now, I used to know a couple of years ago ha!