*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you're talking about the M17xR4 from about 2012, then this laptop had excellent cooling. Of course, it's a bit long in the tooth now (quite old) in terms of GPU gaming performance, but for it's time was very good!

2. Dendrit3

Dendrit3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never had an Alienware, and I really dont know the differences in models. I owned previously a clevo with SLI and I really liked it. About to replace it, and Ive come across an Alienware 17 R4 with gtx 1070, and 7700hq cpu. Is this the new model, and how do you tell?

3. Wetpretzel2

Wetpretzel2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any problems with heat.. repaste with artic silver 5.. i just did mine dropped the cpu temp by 20°C at 3.4Ghz OC (i7-3720QM) and the gpu by 10°C at 700Mhz OC (gtx675m) get my gtx1060m to put in it some time soon will be all good then

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, that's definitely the new model! I can't comment on what the cooling & performance is like on those because I've not been following them. Do a google for that laptop on notebookcheck.net to have a look at the detailed reviews they have for various laptops, it's a great website. There's probably also an owners lounge here on notebookreview forums for that laptop. (This thread is not for that laptop, this one is for the 2011/2012'ish version of the laptop - an OLD beast!)

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    (Arctic Silver 5 isn't the best paste anymore, you can knock off a few more degC by using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I've tried both, and used to be an Arctic Silver 5 fan, but I & others have found that Kryonaut is a lot better.)

6. Wetpretzel2

Wetpretzel2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was not aware of that! Cheers next 6 monthly i will give it a try.. on the 1060 haha

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rjtnag and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. jimmy_grimble

jimmy_grimble Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.. I'm currently face this problem. used the same method (press END button and USB slotted in e-sata) and bricked the laptop. I read that you are able to solve this issue by reprogram the BIOS. I have the chip programming and flashed with A11 bios. i tried to turn on the machine but nothing happened. I notice that there is another chip (EC?). the zip file provided by t456 also contain binary for EC but i cant find which one is the EC chip.
    I have done some search and someone posted in here said that the EC chip is at U36. when i check the chip, it onlyable to store 1Mb while the EC binary provided by t456 is 1MB. :(

btw, sorry for my bad english. not an english literate person.

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, that is very much possible.

The EC for this system is actually even a bit smaller than 1Mbit/125KB, the rest is just padding. There's not much cost difference, so it makes sense for the manufacturer to drop in a larger chip in order to make EC updates possible with sizes larger than 1Mbit. Your system appears to use a chip at the bottom end of possibilities, but that makes no difference when flashing; write the 1MB binary and it'll write only the first 1Mbit, which contain the significant bytes. The laptop will work fine after that, no worries :vbsmile: .

Robbo99999 likes this.
  9. jimmy_grimble

jimmy_grimble Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks alot for explaining.
    ill try to flash the EC chip later this week. its quite a difficult process to access those chip location.
    ill write a guide if i able to restore the laptop.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Before you overwrite that chip; make a copy of its contents first. We can't be certain U36 really is the EC eeprom, so the backup copy is a good precaution. Can also use it for a hex-compare to the 1MB binary as an extra affirmation you have the right eeprom, but don't think that's really necessary here.

A guide would be much appreciated.