*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. seany187

seany187 Newbie

Reputations:
    I searched the threads and couldn't find the answers I needed. I tried contacting Dell Technical Support to ask the simple question and they want me to pay for a software warranty when they can't even confirm if it can be done. Alienware's customer service has gone to **** since Dell took over. Maybe someone here can help me.

1. Is it possible to enable Num Lock (Number lock) on by default on the M17x R3. It's annoying to have to re-enable it every-time I reboot. I couldn't find the setting in the BIOS. Maybe I need to configure the Alienware software?
    2. Is it possible to have opening the laptop lid wake the computer from sleep, vs having to push the power button.

Thank you in advanced!!

2. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    I think if your BIOS is unlocked then there is a NUMLOCK state option.

3. browthers

browthers Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have an Alienware M17x r4 7970M with my computer under Windows 10, the card has burned yesterday, I want to know is if I buy a 970 or 980m I could install it directly and make an installation clean the system or it will not work? Thanks for your help

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've seen at least one person who has installed a 980M in a M17x R4(user @j95 ), and I know of someone who installed a 970M (user @TomJGX )in that laptop too. You'll need to rearrange the pads on the heatsink to match the chips on the 980M/970M, and you'll need to use an NVidia X-bracket because the post heights will then be correct for the chip (you might need new screws to match the NVidia X-bracket but not sure on this). I believe there are certain BIOS & other system settings that are required for a successful installation too, and you will also need to install NVidia drivers using a modified inf in order to install drivers. You'd obviously want to remove all traces of AMD drivers from your system before installing the 970M/980M. There are probably threads already here on NBR where you can read further details on this entire process if j95 or TomJGX don't give you further pointers.

B4n6k3, TomJGX and MickyD1234 like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yup, you have listed the main technical points..

I have a thread created about my 970M upgrade piece, check for it under my profile.. Same steps for 980M.. Just make sure to stay away from Windows 10 and EVGA Precision X unless you want a bricked screen..

Personally, I would sell this and get a proper Clevo desktop monster to avoid all this crap..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    M17xR4 still a mighty fine laptop with 980M/970M though!

deadsmiley and William Willis like this.
  7. Speedster159

Speedster159 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How hard would it be to upgrade from a 660M to 970M on the M17x R4?

EDIT: Would I need an upgraded/modified heatsink. And what about BIOS and Driver support?

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
  9. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has there been a fix for HDMI-IN on Windows 8.1? I tried my Xbox 360 and the Xbox shows up for a second then goes black but the sound still works

10. frankencowx

frankencowx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I recently purchased m17 r3 and it arrived a few days ago. On the c:\ drive there is a folder called "Faclmg" that is 10 gigs in size. It has a bunch of scripts and boot loaders and things in it. Is this safe to remove? It's got the same date on it as the day they started building it. I haven't put anything on this machine yet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.