*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What happens if you run the laptop with the battery removed (just on AC) - is performance always good then? I'm thinking that if you've got a bad battery or problems charging the battery, then maybe your power brick is having to constantly output a lot of Watts trying to charge it - then maybe there's not enough Watts left over to provide good performance for your gaming or whatever else you do. Trying it with the battery removed could prove this.

2. leadeater

leadeater Newbie

Reputations:
    Just as bad without the battery I'm afraid, maybe 5% better. Which doesn't make much sense. I just ordered a new PSU to see what happens.

3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Fingers Crossed! I find it useful to have my power adapter plugged into a KillaWatt meter - enables me to see how many Watts are being consumed from the wall - can be useful in diagnosing performance related issues I find.

4. leadeater

leadeater Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm crossing everything that can be crossed. :eek:

Robbo99999 likes this.
  5. leadeater

leadeater Newbie

Reputations:
    My God, it worked. Battery charges normally, AC adapter is always recognized, with or without battery, performance is not affected in any way anymore. I can even work full screen again. I should have bought a new charger and not a new battery one year ago!

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Good news - well at least now it's fixed!

7. William Willis

William Willis Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    EDIT

NVM, sorted

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to get an deffect M17X R3. The owner says , dead mobo , does beep , no more info. I can get it for dirt cheap, 580m / 2860qm / full hd screen so if it's totaly dead i can get my money back in parts.

I think it's a dead gpu, pretty common as i have seen on Gtx 580m. So i will start by un-mount the mxm and do a blind flash for bios resetting. I have seen that the screen can cause some trouble.

So :

- can i start the thing without the dgpu and without the gpu fan ? Only on intel gpu.
    - can it start without the onboard screen ? On an hdmi screen without the LVDS screen connected ? I don't want to throw 70 € in a new screen for nothing if it's a dead mobo

If i get it back to life i am planning to put in a 7970m, the 240w psu can handle it ? My M17x R2 shut off the 240w power supply as soon as i lunch a game even in single Gpu with a 920xm oc and two 7970m.

An other thing, can throttlestop keep the 2860qm at turbo speed ( 3.5 Ghz ) ? 920 xm are cheap but 2920xm ...

9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, out of curiosity, does anyone know if 980M is compatible / works with the 120Hz 3D Vision panel in the M17x R4?

10. William Willis

William Willis Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd make a post in the Alienware forum section instead of following this post.