*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. GamerGuy2012

GamerGuy2012 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I use those Enduro features, but some games run at better FPS if you can switch the laptop to dedicated mode. Just for some reason that is now missing in my A13 BIOS.

2. _Drake_

_Drake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can still switch to dedicated mode using in the FN+F7 combination (which does exacty the same as when setting it manually in the bios).

Almost every game runs much more worse when running in Enduro mode (one of the main reasons why the M295X in the new AW15 performs so badly as an example as it can only run in Enduro mode)

3. GamerGuy2012

Reputations:
    Right, I was looking in the BIOS because currently my FN+F7 won't work. Some kind of driver or software issue. I tried re-installing the command center, it did seem to go smoothly, but FN+F7 still won't work and also the command center button doesn't do anything.

4. _Drake_

Reputations:
    You have to install the "Alienware On Screen Display Application" for the FN+F7 combination to work

5. GamerGuy2012

Reputations:
    Right. I do have that installed, version 0.32.0.8C. Also the Command Center is showing 2.8.10.0. I think all the latest versions? For whatever reason, the FN+F7 and command center buttons don't do anything.

6. _Drake_

Reputations:
    Weird, I would recommend removing them both and reinstall the OSD application first.

7. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could uninstall the lot and then reinstall the drivers available at dell.com and confirm that switching is working, then upgrade the drivers with the ATI enabled

8. air4cedude

air4cedude Newbie

Reputations:
    hello, I'm doing a clean install and I'm not sure which drivers to install for the LAN and wireless. On the dell website it says I have: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 b/g/n 1x2 MIMO Technology
    but it doesn't say what my LAN card is. Which drivers should I use? Thanks!

9. air4cedude

air4cedude Newbie

Reputations:
    Found a driver for this on the Intel support page. Seems to be working good.

10. leadeater

leadeater Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

I want to (try to) keep this short, and please direct me to a relevant thread promptly if you know of one. I'm at the brink of losing it.

Keyword: Tremendous all-over performance lag due to "unsupported AC adapter". I've seen several threads before, but none seem to be specific for this. For about 1,5 years my R3 has been struggling to charge my battery, but I've survived with solutions like removing the battery and pressing the power button to discharge everything. Usually after that the battery charges. I also replaced my battery, but that had limited success, but it was nonetheless nice with a new battery that held a 2 hour charge.

If my battery is full and the AC is not plugged in, 50% of the time the performance is normal, 50% it is unbearable.
    If my battery is empty and the AC is not plugged in, 50% of the time the performance is normal, 50% it is unbearable.
    If my battery is full and the AC is plugged in, 50% of the time the performance is normal, 50% it is unbearable.

You catch my drift, the performance is unbearable. I see what I type here being typed 5 seconds after I'm done typing.

The last 5 days, it just doesn't want to charge at all. I managed to get it to charge once after removing the battery for the night. Now I'd be all for just throwing out the battery all together and use just AC, but the horrible lag is there no matter how I use the laptop. The only time it is not laggy, is when the battery manages to charge and is somewhat full, but recently even then it is laggy. My JOB is working with video material and typing so this has become such a pain. I can not work full screen anymore, even if it IS charging and the AC is recognized.

Is there anything I can do to fix performance? I realize there might be a physical problem with the power connections, but when it DOES charge it charges to full, it's not like its flaky like that? I mean, I wish I could just fool the laptop into thinking there is no battery to be charged? I'm willing to try anything. I just want this lag DEAD and gone.

I guess I am down to:

Figuring out if it's my motherboard.
    Trying a new PSU.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015