*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't speak to their trustfulness but they look OK enough for me to purchase.

Depends on your usage as to matte or glossy. I prefer glossy as there is no loss of clarity but I only use it indoors with low light when gaming.

The 120hz option there would need you to source the cable as well but negate the need for an unlocked bios. With a 60hz display you will need to find a copy of that unlocked bios to use the 780m, but you can do that before getting it. I know one setting you need to change is PEG but there is another one you'll need to find out.

You can get a modified inf file for the driver install for the 780m from here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers. Just ignore the search and follow the link for the driver you want to install.

You can re-use the 675m x-bracket at a pinch but it's best to try to get the x-bracket that comes with the card.

HTH.

2. Stelio

Stelio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

It's been a long time since I posted. I downloaded the new Star Wars battlefront 2 beta and it prompted me saying my drivers were out of date :( I have the AMD 6970m and windows 7 64bit.
    Required driver is 15.7 or later. It said go to amd.com and update...I did that and I tried installing Catalyst suite 15.7.1 and after it completes installing it says no graphics driver detected....very very strange. I tried the beta driver as well and still no success.

I am on catalyst version 12.6. (I last updated July 2012 I think)

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

3. HandOfZeus

HandOfZeus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    when i got my m17x r4 i formatted it and downloaded all drivers from the alienware download page. However the intel HD 4000. What i want to ask if it will switch automaticly now?

4. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    It should do. It will startup on the Intel then switch when a game is started. Did the driver install OK and do you see both cards in Device Manager? Also check on a right click of the game start icon and see if you have an option to run on a different GPU?

5. HandOfZeus

HandOfZeus Newbie

Reputations:
    It shows in device list, and i can also choose which gpu to run something with .

6. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    So, if you start a game it does not switch? Have you tried something like MSI afterburner to see which card is running? You do need to be on mains power as well - just in case you're not ;)

You should only need the hot-key if a game refuses to start on the NV card. If 'run from' works but not auto-switching then you might have to just put up with it until a new driver comes along that might fix it?

7. Rax86

Rax86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    *** SOLVED.
    by disabling driver enforcement in windows.

Please point me to the right forum but right now I think this is one relevant to ask for help in.
    So, I need help with Nvidia drivers.
    I just upgraded to windows 10.
    Everything works except my geforce card, which I expected to fail.
    I made an upgrade from 580M to 680 M about 3 years ago and I have ever since relied on modded nvidia drivers.
    Now when upgrading to win 10 I supposed it would have been the same story. But now not even the modded drivers seem to work. I tried installing 352.84-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql but I got the error that the set up wasnt able to detect my card.
    I am using M17 r3.

I can see in the device manager that it is rooted under "unknown device"
    in the location: PCI Express Root Complex
    It has to be it, other thing I see is basic display driver under the display driver folder.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  8. sonies

sonies Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    anyone know how to stream music/audio TO a bluetooth device FROM the M17x R4? the only other thing I found on here doesn't work at all

9. GamerGuy2012

GamerGuy2012 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BIOS question for any R4 owners: I have the A13 BIOS, and noticed tonight while poking around in there that the setting to let you switch the graphics between integrated/dedicated is gone. At least I can't seem to find it in the "Performance" area of the BIOS. Can anyone with the A13 bios confirm this setting was removed?

I know way back when I got my R4 that it had a spot in the BIOS to let you switch the graphics... is there an older BIOS I could downgrade to so I can get this setting back?

10. Seraiel

Seraiel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    CCC had / (has?) an option, to permanently assign the different graphic-cards towards specific programs, so you can set it to run the ATI while you play a game and set it to use the Intel, when you're working with Chrome / Firefox.