*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, that would be great if you could do that, I'll check the device ID for the touchpad now and list it in this post.

Hardware ID: ACPI\DLL0490
    Compatible IDs: *PNP0F13

EDIT: thanks for posting your list of ID's, my ID isn't listed amoungst them, and at that link you gave there was no download link for that driver anyway and Firefox threw up some kind of untrusted connection warning as well. Thanks for listing those ID's though, I'll have to see what happens to the touchpad when I upgrade & if I can find any compatible drivers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. shinji257

shinji257 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh yea... You have to use IE to access the site. It requires an ActiveX control to work. XD

EDIT (8/19/2015): Found out that Windows Update drivers actually work fine but have the wrong pin configuration for our systems. Installing ONLY the control panel and extras from the Windows 8.1 pack is enough to put this in place and the drivers will start working.

Comparison of driver versions:
    Dell Alienware M17 R2 Driver
    5/20/2015

Dell Alienware M17x R4 Driver
    8/21/2013

Windows supplied
    7/21/2015

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. ex.treme

ex.treme Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When i compare gpu triple heatsink (nvidia vs ati) from R3 and R4 version they look same except some pads. It is possible using gpu heatsink from Ati to nvidia with new pad nevermind if R3 or R4 version? thanx

Attached Files:

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Looks similar, scale wise at least.. Should be fine...

5. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi, I've helped a couple of people that have used AMD heatsinks on NV cards and they worked fine. You do need to remove the black tape around the core area and if possible use an NV x-bracket. This will ensure the correct heatsink/card clearance. The only problem with that is that the captive screws on an AMD heatsink are a different size. You have to remove those screws and get the correct ones. One guy used the AMD x-bracket as well and got away with it but that was on a 680m and they run cool (usually around 65c at stock) so there is room for it to run a little hotter. If you was going for a 780m or 9xxm then you really should source the x-bracket and screws.

Of course the pads placement and thicknesses will depend on the GPU you go for. R3/R4 no difference.

Good luck.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. HandOfZeus

HandOfZeus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    first of all i'm new to this forum and i bought an alienware m17x r4 recently for the first time.

I got the following specs:
    i7 3630qm
    gtx 675m
    500gb hdd
    6gb ram
    900p screen

I wanted to upgrade the screen to an 1080p one but i'm not sure if it would work. Anyone got any knowledge about this? I also found a cheap gtx 780m out of an MSI laptop , the gpu looked very alike. Would that fit in the r4?

7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Hi, welcome ;).

You've got a good starting point there and I guess it's down to funds and how much work you want to put in? Take a look at the 120hz panel upgrade sticky. It's the same amount of work physically and depending on your use is a great upgrade in quality and contrast for gaming.

MSI cards seem to have occasional issues in AW's, it's usually clevo/sager I see working OK. Maybe someone else knows? There is 'messing' required for any GPU upgrade except for the 680m in the R4. A card I still recommend as a solid gamer with plenty of headroom for overclocking ;).

Don't overclock the 675m! They are notorious for gimping, and maybe look at an SSD as a good starting point?

:D.

8. HandOfZeus

HandOfZeus Newbie

Reputations:
    I was planning on an ssd and new hdd first (sometimes laptop freezing a few seconds). I just was curious if any screen would work. I have read that 1080p vs 900p is a big difference in quality.
    About the gpu, i asked about the msi one because i can get it for half the price of the ones on ebay. But if it doesn't work, i'm aiming towards a 7970m
    This is the one btw
    http://www.2dehands.be/computer-gam.../laptop-2001-3000-mhz/gtx-780m-254353383.html

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Well if you go for a 780m you will need an unlocked (A12) bios to disable the on-board Intel GPU for it to be detected and used. This is the case for any NV gpu that is non-standard for the model. The 9xx cards are an exception to this but come with their own bunch of caveats.

The 1080p panel will certainly be a big upgrade BUT if you were to go for the 120hz panel this plugs into a different port on the MB bypassing the Intel GPU. Upshot is that you don't need an unlocked bios to use a 780m. In both cases you loose the Intel GPU and get less battery time. As the 680m was a stock card it is plug-and-play with no messing.

You also need to modify the NV drivers to allow them to install with a 7xx card. Not so for the AMD or the 680m. Your heatsink is fine for any card but you do need to get the x-bracket for the card (and for the AMD a set of mounting screws as they are larger). Of course the pad thicknesses and placement will need researching as well - lots of info here on NBR ;).

Food for thought....

10. HandOfZeus

HandOfZeus Newbie

Reputations:
    I found some cheap screens here:
    http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/ALIENWARE~M17X~R4/?set_currency=EUR
    I see that there are matte and glossy ones. I never seen a matte alienware m17x version. Is this site trustful?

And about the gtx 780m. It will be way cheaper for me than agtx 680m and even cheaper than a 7970m. What is your suggestion?