*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. rawhide85

rawhide85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ejohnson looking forward to your comparison shots. I'm looking to get an outlet 18 r2 or 17 r4. I'm a Fireman and would have to packup the 18 every third day and that is leaning me towards the 17.

Sent from my SM-N900A running DynamicKat Xtreme v1.3 by @bri315317

2. rawhide85

Reputations:
    @ejohnson - Just wondering if you ever had a chance to do the side by sides? Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3. scope92

scope92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone having problems with Google Chromecast with the HDMI input on their system. Got picture issues with mine. I know that both the HDMIs inputs from my monitor and my R4 work (tried it with a PS3). The Chromecast works with my monitor, but does not work well with the R4's HDMI input. The picture is showing, but with a pink tint to it.

rawhide85 likes this.
  4. rawhide85

Reputations:
    Hello all, I'm really interested in getting an r4 soon. I found one on Craigs List and would like your opinion. I am of course going to give it a thorough inspection prior to purchase. What steps would you recommend I take to ensure I am getting a stable system and not a refurb or lemon. I will start with researching the computer id / service tag and checking the configuration and service history. When I finally get the computer in hand to check it out, what quick steps can I take or programs can I run to achieve this? The price is very good and it comes with the original box so it doesn't seem to be "hot". Any help would be most appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900A running DynamicKat v3.2 by @bri315317

5. jutley

jutley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a M17x R5 with16gb ram and 4700qm copy amd r9 290x gpu what's the best upgrade I can do to this

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    M18 with 4930MX, 32GB RAM, 880M sli! :p I don't think there's much worth upgrading anything in it, maybe the CPU, but you don't need any more than a 4700MQ for gaming really. An SSD drive would be good if you don't already have one though.

7. jutley

jutley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip I can play battlefield 4 on ultra settings at a good frame rate but you know if you have a lot of power you always want more and I am hungry for more. Any more ideas maybe I can put the windows 7 on the msata and install games on a ssd at the moment I have a 500gb hardrive with 8gb catch.

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can put your Windows on any drive you like if it's big enough I reckon, whatever configuration you want to use. Always good to have the OS on an SSD though, which is why I mentioned it as one of your possible upgrade options (unless it's already on an SSD). Games don't benefit from an SSD in terms of performance unless they are open world games which rely on streaming rather than loading screens. Examples of such games that can benefit are: Batman Arkham City/Arkham Origins, Borderlands, Far Cry 3, Fallout New Vegas, Rage, to name a few. In these situations an SSD can prevent stuttering.

9. scope92

scope92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How well is Watch_Dogs running for you guys? I've having problems with the bloom effects and lighting using the 7970m with high settings. It's not too bad, as they problems disappear after several seconds. But it does affect game-play at times. For example, the bloom effect with hinder me from seeing where I'm driving and usually cause me to crash.

Game tends to lag as well when driving at high speeds. Then again I do have texture quality set to max and they do recommend 3GB of VRAM...

10. ZBIGPL

ZBIGPL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what i heard this game was done preferably for Nv(they paid extra to developers) and its features so think here is the problem hidden in the first place(AMD sent protest to Nv for such way of doing things) faster or later think there might be war or lawyers involved ;)