*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. scope92

scope92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All I'm saying is DP would be more prevalent if HDMI does support 60Hz. One of the few reasons to choose DP over HDMI is higher bandwidth (from what I understand). So unless my hardware can even utilize that it's best just to get which is more convenient.

So if I want at least a 120Hz monitor and have a 120Hz going to it, then I suppose I should get a monitor with a dual link DVI or a DP in? And because the alienware laptops doesn't have a DVI, I should only really be worrying about the DP, right? I opted for the ASUS vg248qe as it seems to be top rated all around. The BenQ is cheaper with similar specs, but doesn't have a DP, only HDMI or dual DVI. There's also the AOC g2460pqu alternative as well. More expensive than the other two, but does have extra USBs, which I'm in need of. Anyone recommend the ASUS over the AOC, or vice versa? BenQ is out of the question (no DP).

All of these monitors are TN panels, which doesn't have as good of a color accuracy/production nor the viewing angle compared to IPS display, albeit cheaper as well. What I would give for a 120-144Hz, 2560x1440 min, 24"-28" IPS monitor.

2. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have tested HDMI and fooling around with it the best I could achieve was 60hz. I also believe this bandwidth restriction is part of the HDMI standard - but I'm listening if anyone else wants to put me right.

As to the DP, the underlying technology is dual link DVI with added sound channels, so converter cables work just fine. DP - DVI-D gives you more options on monitor choices and DP supports any DVI-D only monitor.

HTH ;)

3. scope92

Reputations:
    I've been reading around, and some say HDMI does support 120Hz so long as the bandwidth limit is not reach out whatever...who knows?

All I want to know is can the M17x R4 output 120Hz from either the HDMI or DP?

Secondly, anyone successfully overclock their display to past 60Hz?

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have no idea about your 120Hz questions, but I can answer your last one. My max stable overclock for my panel on my M17xR3 is 78Hz - just Create a Custom Resolution in the NVidia Control Panel and keep increasing the Hz until the display craps out, back down to your previous max stable. Intel Integrated GPU has to be disabled in order to do that though. Ah, just noticed you have AMD, I think you can use a third party program to overclock your display. I googled it, yes, here's the link to the program that I remember seeing one time:
    Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

5. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    I am certain DP outputs 120hz connected to an external 120hz monitor but I never managed it over HDMI, but that could have been the kit I was testing with - i.e. the HDMI intput may not 'do' 120 hz??

6. scope92

Reputations:
    There isn't much information about 120Hz support for HDMI, but I'll find out when I get my monitor. The general consensus is that HDMI doesn't support 1080p at 120Hz.

7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    I did manage to get 60hz @1080p which is normally only 24hz (60hz at 720p). This was using the built in 3d driver in Crysis 3 :)

Good luck, you could make a lot of people very happy :D

8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The smoothing tech is known as frame interpolation where it analyzes the differences between frames and generates frames from that information add those frames and creates the illusion of smooth more life like movement.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

9. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    And also unacceptable input latency on an external TV! What you see is microseconds behind real time. You don't see it when watching a movie since the communications is 'out only' but it can't cope with reading a controller quickly enough. At 720p it is OK but 1080i, awful and unplayable :(

10. scope92

Reputations:
    As for my Asus vg248qe gaming monitor, the Intel graphics setting only allows up to 60Hz refresh rate via HDMI, while it supports up to 144Hz via DP. Resolution for both is 1080 Full HD.