*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. SoulWitcher

SoulWitcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @BiH115 okay, I had similer issues with my desktop 5870s and it did turn out to be driver issues. i just never had the browser problem you mentioned. but maybe try a driver reinstall from the dell or amd site. hope you come right! :) let us know if it continues.

2. BiH115

BiH115 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will do, as soon as I get home tonight.

My main gripe the other day was the sound-static issue I've been having. I can't remember if I've just gotten used to it or not, but I haven't heard any sound-related issues the past two days. It's as if they don't exist anymore. Everyone sounds clear now on mumble, games aren't stuttering sound-wise. Odd.

The only other thing that I find to be sort of annoying is the Blu-ray slot, it keeps making a little noise every once in a while. I only seem to notice it when my headphones are off, so I'm not sure if it's making noise when I'm deep into my games. I usually only notice it when I'm using Firefox too... What the hell is with Firefox and it tying into everything I'm having small issues with haha.

3. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    @BiH115 Yeah the bluray thing must be annoying :p but I dont think its a problem. :)

4. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    Will this solid state drive fit into my alienware R4?
    OCZ Petrol 64GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
    • SATA III 6-Gbps • 2.5" form factor • Read up to 185MB/s • Write up to 95MB/s • Boot time reduction optimization • TRIM support
    Thanks

5. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    Will this solid state drive fit into my alienware R4?
    OCZ Petrol 64GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
    • SATA III 6-Gbps • 2.5" form factor • Read up to 185MB/s • Write up to 95MB/s • Boot time reduction optimization • TRIM support
    Thanks

6. vic_doom69

vic_doom69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    in an r3 the igpu is bypassed as there are two connections on the motherboard for the monitor. as i understand it, someone correct me if im wrong, its becasue the hd 3000 is not powerful enought to handle the 120hz or 3d. the r4 has hd4000 igpu so thats why i was wondering if it now supports optimus. it would mean that the motherboard has been changed from the r3 to the r4

edit: after a bit of research it may be that the r3 motherboard doesnt have enough bandwith to support 120hz on the igpu.

7. unixfool

unixfool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dunno if this helps, but someone was asking maybe a week or so ago if they could use the A09 BIOS for the R3 on their R4...answer was 'no, because the R4 motherboard is different', or something to that effect.

EDIT: Link is here.

8. Kalashnikov5

Kalashnikov5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, i just got my alienware m17x r4 yesterday and after getting it all set up i installed world of tanks and was only getting like 40 FPS which seems kinda slow for my system. I have an AMD 7970 which should be way more powerful. So i thought i should go update my drivers. So, i went to AMD's website and the damned thing didnt work at all. It couldnt detect my OS or whatever . So...

1. What the heck is with AW/Dell and Amd drivers?
    2. should i just go down the list @ Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States] and download every driver that applies to my hardware?
    3. If this isn't why my performence stinks, please explain what else i should do.

Im sorry for being an idiot but im new to this stuff and i keep reading stuff i dont understand about AMD drivers and AW:confused:

9. BiH115

BiH115 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

AMD Catalyst? Mobility Display Driver

Try these. Also when you're on the desktop, right click it, go to graphics properties, and make sure that the program you want to run, is set to 'High-Performance' mode, if it's not already (usually most default to 'Power-Saver').

10. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    Yeah it sounds like you are using the Intel HD gpu there :p do what BiH115 says, that should work, P.S what amd drivers are currently installed ?