*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there a guide to completely overhauling windows 7, were all the folders on the start menu are linked to the storage drive vs ssd? I.E. the downloads, pictures, and videos link. I want it were if i click on them it brings me to a folder on the HDD

2. SoulWitcher

SoulWitcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there an option to disable the intergrated gpu in the intel software? I wont ever need the intergrated gpu. just want the amd card running

3. vic_doom69

vic_doom69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i know this is a long shot, cause no one is passing up on the 7970m, but i was wondering if the r4 can do optimus with the 120hz screen.

anyone have a 3d r4?

4. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I heard the r4 BIOS has a lot more options similar to the r3 unlocked BIOS. Is it possible to shut the igpu off from there?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

5. Mitchell2.24v

Mitchell2.24v Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you can set this up using the AMD software. I'll hjave a look tonight when I get homne from work.

I don't have a 3D R4, but apparently it is impossible due to the needed hardware connection. The 3D screen physically bypases the IGPU. So that would not be possible as there is no connection between the IGPU and the screen.

I think I saw something yesterday, but am not sure. I will have a look tonight.

6. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    @Mitchell2.24v great thanks let us know :)

7. BiH115

BiH115 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you talking about when you go into a game, or? If you right click on your desktop and go to graphics properties, it should give you a bunch of programs that you've recently used, or are using at the moment. You can then click and change them from 'high-performance' to 'power-saver' or vice versa.

To be honest, I can't give you a good answer to this. Sometimes it pops up there and lets me see the temp (have it set up to also show temps in task bar), but other times, it doesn't really recognize it, even though I know it's working over-time to power my games.

8. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    @BiH115 sounds like a driver issue, have u tried a reinstall? Of the drivers.

9. BiH115

BiH115 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I believe I'm using the 12.4 Mobility drivers posted by Fox a week or so back, from Benchmark Guru. These are ok and stable, yeah? If so, I supposed I could give re-installing a shot.

Something completely unrelated, but when I set Firefox to be a 'high-performance' task under my graphics options, upon watching a video, I got a BSOD. Not sure if that's related to the high-performance, but it hasn't happened since (I put it back to power-saver fyi). Not sure if that's driver related as well.

10. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good to see that the community is still going strong. Thanks for your hard work over the years, Kat and Bat :)