*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R3/R4 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 4, 2012.

1. BiH115

BiH115 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Reposting from old thread:

Had a few quick questions about my M17x R4:

- The Blu Ray drive sometimes makes a quick noise every once in a while, like once every hour or two, wondering if this is normal? No I'm not using it at the time.

- I used HWID to check temps: using a HD3 Gaming Chill Mat with 1 out of 2 of the USB's for power, and the fan settings on the highest for that one USB; getting high 40's-50's C for idle temps, 60's for load on CPU. 47-54 C or so for the 7970M on idle, 60 max on load. These sound right? Stock Paste(s).

- Had a weird issue the other day when trying to play BF3: kept starting the game and it always seemed like the 7970M wasn't kicking in, I know it wasn't because I was getting horrid framerates. After a few reboots, it seemed that the 7970M was now getting used, and everything was smooth. What gives..?

Thanks! Loving the system so far. Is it necessary to do any bios updates or anything like that to get the most out of it? Or? Haven't touched much. Also any better drivers out there other than the 12.4's?

Other note:

Also noticing some sound stuttering, when listening to music or watching video. Sometimes when playing games as well. Tried making firefox run in high-performance mode and it seems to have fixed it, but not entirely sure. Haven't noticed the stutters once I tried that 'fix'.

Anyone know how many sound channels the onboard sound is capable of? I have the Sound Blaster Recon 3Di in my laptop, but can't find any information on it. Curious about this since I saw the option in the Diablo 3 sound options menu. Has choices between 16, 32, 64, and 128 sound channels.

Thanks all.

2. SoulWitcher

SoulWitcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have a link to that?

3. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
  5. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
  6. SoulWitcher

Reputations:
    @BiH115 those temps look fine anything under 75-80 should be fine, once it gets hotter then that watch out :) As for the bluray drive I'm not 100% sure but my DVD drive on my desktop does the same and have had it for 4 years, so I assume it should be okay :)

Great thanks! add rep to u, slick and katalin :)

7. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not sure if this has been posted, but they added a third Wifi option, of course when mine is in production.

8. 99sitr

99sitr Newbie

Reputations:
    @BiH115 how were you able to get the 7970m to show in HWmonitor? I did a clean install of drivers for it and it still will not show even when games are running on it and the fan is at what sounds like 100%.

I'm also trying to figure out a good 256ish GB SSD to throw in for a primary drive and move the 750gb HDD to secondary.

9. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    Look at the crucial m4s if your looking at getting an ssd. There is a deal listed for 256gb crucial m4 listed by katalin a few posts back. You might wanna check it out. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

10. i7 M18x

i7 M18x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone having issues on the R4 with the laptop defaulting to integrated graphics? My games won't recognize the 7970 on steam.