*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Cmagamez

Cmagamez Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I rather have the GTX 580, but I have few time to invest fixing this laptop, so I went for the easy way.
    I bought it on eBay, but the publication I went through is not available anymore. Those are refurbished cards from China, and it's working like a charm, also kinda cheap, 70USD.

The only gap I have now is that the machine is running slow, maybe because I'm using the old hard disk with windows 10, I have to get a good deal of a SSD.

2. Danyel254

Danyel254 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Another question, you still have your ati 5870m?the one that failed? What was the symtomb to fail this card?

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    no video, blurred video, no post, BSOD after windows logo, one long-2short beep upon powering on, etc...many signs of failure.

4. Danyel254

Reputations:
    You resolve this? I’m interesting to buy one this FirePro m6100

5. Danyel254

Reputations:
    Thanks, an other topic you tested e FirePro M6100 con AWm17x r2? This work? Or what need to get work this card?

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    firepro m6100 has broken fan control, you will have to use hwinfo. This is a deal breaker for me, so I use clevo 8970M

7. Danyel254

Reputations:
    Yeah your right but the problem is the 8970m are more expensives than M6100. have you found a 8970m Clevo more cheaper? And another question if I use the M6100 the drivers and performance run well? The 5870m heatsink works? If I use the Hwinfo I need control the fan speed manually right?

8. Dwarf King

Dwarf King Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well it is now 2018. My Alienware m17x R2 has been used since 2010 I believe. I have upgraded it this and last year. I have installed a i7 920XM last year and a ATI HD 7970M this year. And today I also upgraded the RAM so it now has 16GB of ram. It runs damn well on a Windows 10 Pro and I feel like I have a all new laptop that runs smooth and efficient. The more of think about this then this has been one of the best investment ever. It was rather expensive back then but it has certainly lasted longer than I would think such a machine could and being able to upgrade the hardware on it for a low cost has certainly prolonged its use. Of course I had some hickups with Dells support back then but with Ebay and a screwdriver tool-set plus a anti-static wrist band stuff is so smooth with the R2 system.

I have since then aquired a m11x R3 system as well as a m14x R1 system but let us be honest here the bigger screen on the m17x R2 system with its great resolution(see signature) really still makes it stand out. Cheers to a fine old machine that still holds its stand against time and age!

Nospheratu and alexnvidia like this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes, the old m17x R2 is still quite useful after performance upgrades. On single 8970M + vulkan + overclocked 940xm, I can get 45-60fps on doom maxed out, which is nuts considering it is using an 8 year old CPU and 5 year old GPU.

10. Clarent

Clarent Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I'm planning to buy an Alienware m17 r1 for 250usd and an used gtx 970m 6gb for 200usd
    So before i bought it i want to ask

Do m17xr1 could run that gpu?