*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Cmagamez

Cmagamez Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How can I install it without being able to boot because Ithe screen is fully black? Neither connecting over HDMI seems to work.

2. Erekson7

Erekson7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    if you have a spare computer or even library computer you can just download the program listed and created a flash drive bootable then insert flash drive into your usb drive, and then press "f12" key on boot and his USB as the boot option with the enter key and follow directions from there. if you live in usa and cant do it i can create a flash drive bootable for you and mail it to you ?

3. Cmagamez

Cmagamez Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the help! Sadly I don't live in USA but if you can point me to how to create it (or at least the software use for it) I can give it a try. Thanks again.

4. Erekson7

Erekson7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the software needed is in the link posted in a previous post earlier. its directly on dells m17x r2 driver page to get the software for it.

5. PyschoOReo

PyschoOReo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, good day everyone. I'm new to this site, I have an Alienware M17x and I was wondering if there is any option for upgrading this machine, it has LED effects problem, so need to look into that also. :( And I'm planning on changing my main drive with SSD and the back up drive just HDD will do, do I need to have a caddy for both? Thanks a bunch! ;)

6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need a caddy for both, but the 2nd caddy should come with the laptop. You can easily check by removing the bottom panel. What you will definitely need though is an interposer such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SATA-H...236380?hash=item3d448f231c:g:U0AAAOSwiO9XjEKh

What kind of LED issues are you having?

7. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    Quick question - the *key to the right of S* on my keyboar seems to have given up the ghost. Are the keyboars from the M18X compatible? They seem to have the same screw brackets an cables an are a little easier to fin than M17X R2 ones. Not a huge issue if they 'on't work as i can live with a non-UK layout.

8. PyschoOReo

PyschoOReo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, actually I went to a computer technician here and they told me that it's a motherboard issue, even with the Alienware Command Center installed, it won't light up, not even at pc startup, I tried fixing it via button power drain, etc but to no avail.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The same keyboard is used all the way even from the Pre-Dell Alienware M17 R1 , Dell M17x R1,2,3,4 through the M18x R1,R2

Arrrrbol likes this.
  10. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    Thanks, bought a new Norwegian one as it was less than half the price of a UK keyboar. o_O