*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, Dec 6, 2011.

1. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone managed to get the M17x R1 to run the geforce 765m? I have one laying around from a newer alienware but I haven't been active in a while and haven't had much time to mess with this stuff . baby on the way and all.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    as far as I know nobody has been able to get anything past a 5870M working in the M17x R1. I wanted a M17x R1 test bench but never got around to finding one.

3. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have my frankenware that i decided to try and bring from death it works again thank Gawd im gonna work on getting it to have a q9300 and the 765m are my goals

4. Raidriar

Reputations:
    To those with M17x R2 + 7970M, I know there aren't many of you left around, but what temperatures are you guys getting? I'm getting 68-75 at 950/1300 @ 1.0V, is that normal/acceptable or should it be lower?

5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's lower than i'm getting with 5870s.

6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    damn i guess I'll leave it alone then

7. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    IMO anything under 90 degrees is acceptable. GPUs are generally robust and can take the heat, but obviously lower is better. I encountered a bug with a game where when i was tabbed out the 2nd GPU was maxed at 100% usage but the first was idle. I believe the fan speed is related to the temperature of the main card, so my fan speeds did not indicate the usage was so high. My core temp may have briefly glanced 107C - whoops. There is no damage to the card though and its still running fine, though I now use a custom fan profile.

I could probably get my GPU temps way down with a few modifications (copper shim etc) but since they stay in the 70s in most games, and rarely exceed the mid 80s at 100% load there is no real need to do so. I'll perform some cooling mods when I upgrade them.

8. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    Do you happen to have the vBIOS for the 8970M that is installed in your M17X? Amassing a few of them to find out which one works.

9. Cmagamez

Cmagamez Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone.
    I need some help in order to bring back to life my precious M17X R1. I have this laptop abandoned since I started having troubles with it years ago, the screen sometimes went off without reason, and other stufd I can barely remember. Today I left the laptop into a repair service shop, and probably we will have to change the video card, which in my model was the ATI Radeon 5870, the big question is, is there a site or store where I can buy it new? Can it be replaced with a Nvidia 260 or any other card that comes or it's compatible with it? I deeply aprecciate your help.

10. Arrrrbol

Reputations:
    You will struggle to find a brand new 5870 now, but you can find lightly used ones from China pretty easily. I wouldn't worry about getting a used one too much - I still have the original 5870s in my M17X R2 and they are still working fine.