*OFFICIAL* Alienware M17x R1/R2 Owner's Lounge Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try unplugging and reinserting the keyboard and display cables, I believe they are part of the charging circuit and an AC adaptor will not work without them.

2. R4g5

R4g5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, posting here cos I'm at my wits end and about to give up on my beloved m17x r2.
    Background info
    Upgraded the laptop to 920xm and had it running with gtx765m with no problems for aboutique 6 months. After a major windows 10 update I had to reinstall the gtx765m and had the usual sound/hdmi problems...was running with a USB sound card but after a couple of months got my old hd4870m back so decided to clean install it and then go through the steps to get the gtx765m working properly again.
    Problem
    I downloaded ddu and started it up. Pressed the 'restart in safe mode' option and that was it. Blank screen.
    So far
    Took the card out and reset cmos. still blank but getting intermittent hdmi (cutting off and purple/green).
    Reset windows 10.
    Tried different ram.
    Reflased the bios a10.
    Tried the old hd4870.
    Replaced the powerbar cable and keyboard because the cables looked a bit worse for ware.
    Reseated all the cables.
    Ran ddu again.
    Pressed fn+f6 repeatedly :)
    Currently
    Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. Seems the screen is either broken or just not being detected? On teamviewer in hwinfo it shows no monitor but in device manager monitor is listed with generic pnp driver, tried updating it but says it is up to date.
    Anyway to test the screen?
    Am I missing something stupid?
    Anything else to try?
    Love the r2 and don't want to give up on her but I can't really afford to get a new screen ($149) especially if I can't be sure it is a screen issue...thanks for reading, greatly appreciate any help/advice
    Paul

3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you see the BIOS when you boot it up? If the BIOS is still showing then its a Windows issue. If not then its probably the display.

R4g5 likes this.
  4. R4g5

R4g5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey arrrrbol, thanks for replying...nothing on the screen at all during post/bios. Guess it must be the screen which is not good...threw me that it happened when using ddu. Oh well, time to upgrade to a new laptop, thrown enough money at this one thanks again for taking the time to reply

5. rolex1

rolex1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, just pulled this laptop out to use as a secondary device (and remember the old days)
    Surely someone out there must still use the R1? I can't seem to find properly working display drivers for windows 10? Nor can I get crossfire running on the 4870's someone out there must have either a thread with a solution or some guidance!!

Chime in all the old'school gang!! There's an alienware in need!!

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    if you get tired of it and want to sell, let me know.

7. rolex1

rolex1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'd wanna buy a BEAST that's no longer supported (in any way shape or form?)
    Just curious as to why lol

8. R4g5

R4g5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey rolex1, page 103 in this thread has info on windows 10 update.

rolex1 likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I like to collect older alienwares.

10. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all !

I have tested an 8 Gb memory stick in my M17X R2 and it work ! It's not the corsair one that everyone know about, its :

Ramaxel Technology
    RMT3160EB68FAW1600
    PC3-12800

Very cheap, got it for around 35 € and it work with my stock 4 gb ram, i had to put it in the second slot( the one on top), in the second cpu z reconized it but windows don't.

I have 12 Gb now ! PUBG here i come !