*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. nebbish

nebbish Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone done a repaste yet? What size pads are needed?

2. pclausen

pclausen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got a m17 on the way with the 4k screen and 2060 GPU and 6 core CPU.

I got it with the M.2 256GB drive so that I could get the larger battery. I also ordered a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB. According to the service manual, I need to get a full thermal shield when running dual M.2 drives. I contacted Dell support and they don't yet have a the part number for the full thermal shield, nor do they have any in stock. They said to check back in a few weeks. I'll probably go ahead and install the 970 PRO and just keep an eye on the temps.

Was curious if anyone ordered a m17 with dual M.2's and if there is a part number on the thermal shield?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. nebbish

nebbish Notebook Guru

Reputations:

So far no issues with a second m.2 and no shield.

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My first m17 has some heat problems. During battlefield4 99c cpu, pch 86c, m.2ssd 87c. Gpu stayed in the upper 70’s. Exchanged it, have theborher sirtibg here in the box. Not sure what I’m going to try it again or take it back.

5. pclausen

Reputations:
    Good to hear! (referring to @nebbish 's reply). @pathfindercod , sorry to hear about your heat issues.

So I placed my order on 2/27 and when I look at the order status is still says Confirmed. The only other 2 "dots" on the timeline are Shipped and Delivered.

Shouldn't there be a "Order Processing" step between Confirmed and Shipped?

Arrival estimate is 3/7 - 3/12. I'm leaving on a business trip on 3/11 and I really hope to have it by then!

6. pclausen

Reputations:
    Got my m17 today and the GPU fan is DOA. It will start up, but goes into self diagnostic immediately, which always ends with the following error:

m17_gpu_fan.JPG

I'm able to continue and boot into windows, but the CPU fans is running at a pretty speed, I guess to make up for the fact that the GPU fan is not running and the whole underside of the laptop gets really hot.

I removed the bottom cover and the GPU fan header connector is fully seated so that it not the issue. Also, with the cover off, for a seconds or two after turning it on, the GPU fan does spin, but then it stops again.

I did upgrade the BIOS from 1.3.3 to 1.4.1, but that did not make a difference either.

Guess I'll have to return it...

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let them replace the fan and then try it, maybe it will be to your liking and if not you still will be in your return period.

8. pclausen

Reputations:
    The fan itself works ok. It spins up when the laptop is powered on, but then it stops again. So the issue is with the circuitry that controls the fan speed I think, or the rpm wire. Replacing the fan may or may not resolve the issue. This thing runs way hot just idling. The bottom is almost uncomfortable hot, even when sitting on the BIOS screen. I think this one is a dud so I'm leaning towards just getting a full refund.

9. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It spins up during a test which most likely detects it's failure. It's your decision but I would try to repair it first as it may also be the cause of the hot temperatures.
    You will still have time to return it once you thoroughly test it.

10. David Kirchik

David Kirchik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone happen to know the product number for the 90whr battery in the m17’s?