*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New AWCC available for download:

upload_2021-6-21_9-20-35.png

This version appears to address the constant KERNELBASE.dll crash the application suffers from.

Flying Endeavor and Vasudev like this.
  2. Gumwars

Reputations:
    And I take it back. AWCC was working fine for a couple of days, started throwing the same error yesterday.

Flying Endeavor, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  3. Gumwars

Reputations:
    I guess I can say its stability has improved, but I have no idea by how much. There are a number of factors that apparently affect the operation of AWCC; is fastboot enabled, is the application service set to "automatic" or "automatic-delayed" and likely other factors. The application apparently recovers silently on its own without any action by the user, I suspect many folks are unaware that the problem even exists. I have a case of OCD when it comes to how my computers are running, and inexplicable errors bother me, even if they don't appear to have any impact on functionality. My opinion is that it isn't supposed to behave that way, so it shouldn't behave that way.

The KERNELBASE.dll error has been around for several years, with Dell being unwilling to fix it (likely due to the way the application recovers). I've seen the problem less since installing the most recent version of AWCC, so I guess that's good?

4. Gumwars

Reputations:
  5. Gumwars

Reputations:
    New BIOS available (2.9.0)

The description listed on the Dell website says, "Firmware updates to address security vulnerabilities" but offers no security advisory listing providing any details of what is being patched.

Not going to install this one.

EDIT: I'm a glutton for punishment. Went ahead and installed it anyway and against better judgment.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. Gumwars

Reputations:
    As your community sacrificial lamb, I went ahead and installed 2.9.0 just to see what would happen. I still have the ability to UV and nothing seems borked...yet. I'll report back if anything happens.

etern4l likes this.
  7. Gumwars

Reputations:
    New AWCC and OC Tools available.

Haven't had the chance to install them yet, will do so later today and report my findings. The list of fixes doesn't include the constant KERNALBASE.dll exceptions I've seen, but here's to hoping!

Vasudev, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  8. Gumwars

Reputations:
    While it might be too soon to tell, my reliability monitor hasn't reported an AWCC.exe crash since the update. It usually took a day or two to pop back up but so far so good. I'll report back if anything goes sideways. Also, the upgrade to BIOS 2.9.0 has been uneventful. Your mileage may vary, but I haven't noted anything of concern.

EDIT: The KERNELBASE.dll errors are back. Took about three days to show up. Guess this isn't the fix.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  9. Gumwars

Reputations:
    New BIOS available (2.10) Addresses the following:

INTEL-SA-00562 - Summary; escalation of privilege requiring local access, affects 7th, 10th, and 11th gen processors (among others, but these are the generations that are found in Alienware laptops).

etern4l likes this.