*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, are there any M17 owners here who upgraded their storage? I currently have a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD occupying my 2.5 inch Drive Bay and I am planning on adding in an additional 2TB Worth of SSD storage on the Two M.2 slots or 1 M.2 slot depending if I could acquire a 2TB M.2 SSD. Would this be possible? I have been reading the M17 user manual and it states there that it could only support a 1TB SSD and the DELL reps I contacted told me my unit could only support 1TB more worth of storage on one slot since the other slot is only for Intel Optane memory. Could anybody confirm this? I really want to add in a lot of storage for my M17.

2. phq

phq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The second slot has no issues with taking a normal NVMe SSD. I have 2x 970 PRO 1TB in mine without any problems.

Flying Endeavor and Vasudev like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check out my sig. I doubt there are any issues with 2TB NVMe drives.

Flying Endeavor and Spartan like this.
  4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. MrFreeze_Van

MrFreeze_Van Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone on this thread is owning the new M17 (with the new design and cooling system)? Can't find any test on how it handles temperatures. Delivery date here in Canada is 35 business days so I was wondering if its actually available or if Dell is actually planning to release it somewhere in Aug.
    Thanks.

6. RutherfordX

RutherfordX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nobody has them yet. They originally planned to ship orders on July 1st, but it has been delayed to August. Many of the configuration options they announced aren't even available.

7. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    If i where in you, i'll rather wait for it to hit the market, wait for some review and then if it is worth it, purchase it. New chassis, new design, i would not purchase something so expensive on day one.

FXi and etern4l like this.
  8. phq

phq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So something odd happened... I was going to install the latest OC controls and control panel so I uninstalled them both, installed the latest control panel, but when I got to installing the OC controls I get this.

OC1.jpg
    OC2.jpg
    The even more odd part is that if I try to install the OC controls version I had before, it does the same thing. When I restarted between the un-installation of the old version and installation of the new, some windows updates were installed, so I suspect something there.

Anybody else getting this?

EDIT 1: Seems that there's something screwed up in my computer in general. Can't install certain other things either, like Intel XTU. I get the same end error message, which apparently has something to do with .NET. There was a .NET update applied, so I'll start from there basically.

EDIT 2: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...l-breaks-intel-xtu-and-doesnt-install.829667/

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will chime in also that with the delays in configurations and availability on the new model be very careful rushing to order. If you can afford to wait get at least a few reviews before you jump, just so the basic problems have been exposed and you get to decide if you can live with them. Sometimes you can't wait. But if you can, it may save you headaches later.

Wilhelm_SI, etern4l and CptXabaras like this.
  10. KiwiSi

KiwiSi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

With the recent drop in price, I am looking at buying an Alienware M17 (2018) model.

I have done a lot of research and read/watched a lot of reviews on YouTube, etc. and there seems to be a common theme around high temperatures and throttling. Is it really as bad as the reviewers make out, and if so, are there any effective workarounds, eg: thermal re-pasting, etc.

I like the look fo the new M17 2019 models, though the soldered memory (I want to take the laptop to 32GB mem), and the fact that you can't buy it with a 4K screen (yet) has me looking to picking up one of the 2018 models instead.

Any feedback, much appreciated.

Thanks.