*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have to say having looked carefully that I like the keyboard design of the M17 r2 quite a bit. In fact with the larger touchpad area I kind of wish the 51m had this keyboard. I know the 51m has some better features, but overall the m17r2 has the better overall keyboard+trackpad vs the 51m

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand how anyone can compare keyboards and trackpads without actually using them on both systems.

I quite like the current m15 keyboard. The fact that it's full size makes it more useful for work. Reviews compare it favourably against Macbook Pro. Don't fix it if it ain't broken, eh Alienware?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Rei Fukai, CptXabaras and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hope it won't butterfly on you while typing your official docs.
    Maybe Azor will change the keyboard to full touch screen keyboard and mouse. Bigger and massive Touch Bar/rectangle.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can compare keyboards based on layout because I've been using them a long, long time. I'd agree that "feel" counts for a lot, and from that angle, there is no telling until you "try it". But layout is a big deal for me and if you use a trackpad, things like glass and surface area (but not too much surface area) are again things you can judge on sight. 51m is just a variant on classic AW keys we have seen and used on many models. So that really isn't much mystery.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually hate the classic AW layout because of the inconvenient placement of Ins, Home, End keys. The full size m15 R1 layout works much better.

FXi likes this.
  6. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the 51m is the least preferable to me between it and the m15 and m17

7. jd63636

jd63636 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Holy balls, with a starting price of $2099 I am tempted to get a base Area 51M instead. The price difference covers ram upgrade and I already have a 1TB nvme SSD. The portability of the m17 R2 is nice but I am used to hauling around a M17X R4 and 17 R2 after that so weight is not an issue.

etern4l and pathfindercod like this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are aimed at a different kind of user and market.

9. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    One of the reasons i like the R1 over the R2 more, i can't do without a num pad.

etern4l likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have managed to bump my undervolt to 165mV with and actually run BF5, and my other games comfortably.... I have also pegged my CPU to boost only up to 3.7 GHZ to ease the temperatures but alas, I am still hitting 95 Degrees Maximum whilst playing BF5. I am also experiencing some rather terrible GPU throttling as well with said game. BF5 is just such a resource hungry title... anyways.. here are my latest temperature readings after doing an the entire Terailleur Campaign.... Do bear in mind I have Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut with Fujipoly Thermal Pads installed, as well as undervolted to 165mV, and boost clock limited to 3.7 Ghz. My fans have also been set to the maximum possible setting, and my ambient temperature is 29 Degrees Celsius.

[​IMG]

My temps would normally stay within 85 Degrees to 88 Degrees Celsius, but it would occassionally spike up to 95 Degrees on certain scenes then immediately drop back down to 85 Degrees, of course with a drop in the Boost clock of both my GPU and CPU and a slight drop in FPS. And well, I was about to say I have not encountered any more BSODs, ever since I updated my WIFI Card driver.. but whilst I was creating this post, my laptop hit a BLUE Screen... I guess it could be my undervolt or something.. might as well drop back to 160mV and see how it goes...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.