*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    >.<

2. Trystan Baltazar

Trystan Baltazar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gah... There are so many good choices right now... I am currently at a loss.... I am debating whether to go for an Alienware M15 (Fell in love with this laptop the first time I saw it) , the Alienware M17 (Same beautiful looks as the M15 but with a bigger screen and hopefully better cooling), a GP63 (one of the seniors in my workplace is urging me to purchase one together with a friend of his to hopefully get a huge discount, but I have always wanted to own an Alienware) , or a ROG Strix GL703/GL503 (heard those are also very good laptops for their price point). I am pretty much set on an Alienware, but well, now we move into the prices... Dx

I am pretty much set on an Alienware but of course, the prices of the MSI and ROG laptops are very appealing.. and well, the M17 as it is costs significantly more than the M15 and currently, the screen choices are lackluster...

3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know what gets me is Dave2D was giving the m15 such high praise for it's thermals. And then I see so many people have throttling issues on the CPU. Clearly he got a cherry picked unit. But why not just ship them all out in that condition? Less people returning laptops is more money in Dell's pocket. o_O

Hopefully they fix the issue and the m17 performs cooler across the board.

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Watch his video again and pause at 4:46...it's running every bit as hot as what we see in the forums. His wasn't cherry picked but rather his choice to show and not tell.

Things probably get weird when you're getting review units and are expected to say good things. Whether that happens to him or not, I can assure you that it DOES happen.

5. Terreos

Reputations:
    I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. . .wow. I might have lost some respect for Dave. :(

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Terreos likes this.
  7. Terreos

Reputations:
  8. Trystan Baltazar

Reputations:

Hello Sir BobofallTrades, fancy meeting you here :) Could not wait to see more of your Laptop Reviews on Youtube. I hope both you and Sir Steven from OwnedorDisown would make a review on these new laptops from DELL/Alienware. I am really debating between this, the New and Improved G7, and the AW M15, and I could really use your opinions on them. With all these new releases, DELL has made it even harder to choose even within their own brands. xD Hopefully, HIDEvolution would have these laptops for sale and customization. Hoping to get better temperatures with all their Cooling upgrade options.

9. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My goal this year is to minimize purchasing laptops. I reviewed 19 last year had bought 17 of them. It buried the channel pretty hard. Small channel like mine barely makes a few hundred dollars a month but spends thousands is a strange investment. So 2019 will not repeat what I did last year.

I think the Alienware M 15 and M 17 Run Way too hot and I personally think they’re absolutely hideous. Don’t let the latter influence your opinion but these are factually hotter than Satan‘s balls. I laid hands on every laptop at CES and the keyboard deck on the M-series Alienware laptop‘s were by far hotter than everything else.

I would love to get my hands on a G5 or a G7 but then I found out how much a proper configured one would cost. I just can’t justify that for myself let alone the consumer.

RTX better be amazing!

Papusan likes this.
  10. Trystan Baltazar

Reputations:
    Understood sir :) And hmm, yeah, indeed they do run hot, based on all the reviews that I have seen so far... Reaching 100 Degrees Celsius Constantly... Sir Steven did manage to curb the temperatures in his Liquid Metal equipped M15 by undervolting, but yeah, He had to go through all those steps just to bring the temps to a manageable level. Hmm, the G series is supposed to be their budget line, although, the lines are starting to blur between it and their Alienware Line-up, but I still do hope we get to customize them how we want them and hopefully cut down on some unncessary costs.

I am hoping they would be for us consumers. :) Currently, I am on stand-by to see what develops in the next few weeks after RTX equipped laptops finally come out. I am hoping to see if RTX would be worth the upgrade from the GTX 10 Series, as well as any potential price drops for the GTX 10 series since there are these new RTX 20 series out and about, and also, what kinds of temperatures would these new cards be getting. All in all, it is a very exciting year for gaming laptops. :) Thank goodness I withheld purchasing one last November.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019