*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Aurizen

Aurizen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys how are you taking care of your battery? I always plug my laptop in and leave it in. Is there a setting that protects the battery even when its in a always plugged in state?

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No need to do anything special in that case. In terms of broader battery care, I did disable Express Charge.

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For longevity you need to charge cycle it. Once every 3-4 weeks run it down to about 10%. Shut it down and let it cool. Plug the ac in and let it charge fully without turning on the notebook.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to this:

https://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

fully cycling the battery isn't about increasing longevity (it actually slightly decreases it), but rather serves to recalibrate battery life estimates.

They say it need to be done every 30 cycles. Useful app BTW. Tracks the cycles, notifies when cycle is needed, shows power draw on battery.

5. pathfindercod

Reputations:
    From my experience of managing a fleet of laptops in many businesses over the years this procedure was done routinely and we averaged 4 years per battery. These machines were used on battery and ac randomly everyday.

Darkhan and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried not performing this procedure on a subset of identical laptops in order to observe the difference, if any? Just trying to be scientific here and strictly speaking your claim proves nothing. My AW15 battery is fine too after 3.5 years with a similar usage pattern and no explicit cycling.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. pathfindercod

Reputations:
    It was mandated by cooperate when I was the IT manager for Eaton Cutler Hammer southwestern Midwest manufacturing plants. I managed approximately 12,000 laptops and 26,000 desktops. According to their studies and recommendations from our suppliers it helped. I believe it did.

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you sure all those laptops and studies were running on Li-ion batteries, not Ni-based ones? In other words, do you believe the information below provided by BatteryCare and broadly corroborated on the Internet is incorrect?

"In lithium-based batteries memory effect is in fact a myth, it only applies to older Nickle-based batteries. So fully discharging and charging the battery is completely useless and even harmful as we will see below."

9. Aurizen

Aurizen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    where is express charge?

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a BIOS setting.