*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Renan

Renan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates for the 9th gen intel processor ? Would be nice to see 9980HK benchmarks for the m17.

2. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    They continue to push more powerful hardware inside the same envelope without any upgrade to the cooling system... what's the point i wonder...

3. Renan

Reputations:
    The point is that maybe the new cpu have better thermal control due to engineering, producing less heat.

You may remember the Pentium 4 that use to run like a toaster, today we have much much better CPUs that run generating a lot less heat. That's the whole point.

4. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    we will see i guess.. might be the case, might be not. If the trend we experienced with 7th and 8th gen chip has to be taken as reference, my educated guess is that tech is not yet ready to be implemented is such compact form factors.

Also, is my understanding that intel has been strugling with their production lines, so they are stuck at 14nm production. Take that into account and add:
    higher frequencies/core count
    higher voltages compared to desktop counterparts, given that a bga chip is basically a desktop chip which hasn't qualified to be used on desktop (it requires more voltage, runs hotter and at lower frequency)

For the above, i doubt there will be any improvement in terms of efficiency

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, im looking to order an m17, but not sure what choices to make. Leaning toward the 120hz UHD 1440 screen, but a little stuck on the hard drive. Is dual better than a single drive? Not sure whats preferable for a gaming laptop.

6. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    9980hk might be a better chip and might not. But before the 9700/9900 came out, people with very hot 8700's were thinking there was no way they new chips could be managed. We've since learned that the 9900 is hot but can be managed and it is seriously faster than the 8700. So I'm inclined to think with their back against the wall Intel may have done their best to give us the laptop equivalent of the 9900, hot but manageable. I understand "we'll see" but the history is there that they can figure out how to get more out of a chip series without a process shrink. Would a shrink be better? Yep probably. But I don't think we're going to get junk. No one thought you could put a quad core into a surface. So let's see how the 9th gen does.

Renan and CptXabaras like this.
  7. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, would anybody be able to recommend me a good backpack to be able to carry my M17 around? Preferrably something that could be bought readily through amazon. I have been debating on the Alienware Vindicator 2.0, but it just falls short on water resistance. I want a backpack that is not only well padded, but also water resistant to truly provide all around protection for my rather hefty laptop.

I am currently looking at the Kroser 17.3 inch water repellent laptop backpack, as well as the SOLO ALTITUDE backpack.. I also plan to put my M17 in a laptop sleeve for additional protection but yeah, I am unfamiliar with the internal laptop compartments of both of these backpacks, hence why I am a bit apprehensive about pulling the trigger on one of them.

On a side note.. The Alienware Vindicator 2.0 is just such a good looking backpack and it has the added benefit of being readily available in my country.. But the lack of proper water resistance just gets me.. Could anybody comment on its water resistance?

Renan likes this.
  8. Renan

Reputations:
    I bought the Everki Titan to use with my M17.
    Here is a video of what you can expect:

Here is the amazon link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Everki-Check...=everki+titan&qid=1557255191&s=gateway&sr=8-1

MogRules, FXi and Flying Endeavor like this.
  9. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yeah, I am considering the Everki Titan, but I would prefer a backpack that is less bulky and heavy. I want something that is not too comedically huge that it would be akward to bring to work, and at practically 2 KGs, this weighs almost as much as my laptop itself. I would like something much lighter...

This backpack from KROSER is what I am going for:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RV492Y/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Although, I am also very much interested in the SOLO Altitude backpack here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y147WRY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I am debating on which one is the best option.... I could also go for the Vindicator 2.0 and just grab a seperate rain cover... but I would want something that could still hold it's own without it. I am also looking at the EBAGS Professional Slim laptop backpack.. so many choices..

10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an older Everki bag that has held up very well.

MogRules likes this.