*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    They would mention it if it was gsync. Alienware likes to sell both. But I'll take 144hz 1440p without gsync than a panel with 60hz at any resolution.

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I did opt to get the 120HZ 1440p panel for my M17. That is the only high refresh rate panel on offer for this particular laptop. And I figured as much, they could have easily used G-Sync as a good selling point. I still wish they had a FHD 144hz panel as an option for the M17, paired with an RTX2060 would be a very good combination, at least for me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. David Kirchik

David Kirchik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will say, after latest bios update, you can do a lot more with rtx 2070mq. I do recommend if your north cores are 10+c hotter (0,2,4) replace the thermal pad on the VRMs.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18953644

CptXabaras likes this.
  4. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked on here before but Im looking to buy the M17 but I cant decide which of the screens offered at the moment is best. Cant decide between the UHD 120Hz and the 4K 60Hz. Does the 4K suffer at all being 60Hz? Why did they do that???

5. David Kirchik

David Kirchik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been trying to figure this out for days: HWinfo64 reports the 2070mq is at 3.9 watts. since this issue started up I could achieve better overclocks, higher fire strike scores. In my process of DDU'ing, bios update and rollbacks, still the same wattage reported as 3.9w for GPU power and even higher fire strike scores. I wonder if my GPU bios is the problem? Anyone with a 2070mq want to try my bios?

Screenshot (3).png

6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    what do you mean UHD or 4K? UHD IS 4K.

You probably meant QHD or 4K.

I would take the QHD for the higher refresh rate and that way you probably won't need to do any DPI scaling to be able to see things which is much better than 4K with DPI scaling as we know Windows DPI scaling is horrendous, some apps look blurry and others might have misaligned buttons/text.

In addition, I would never pick a 60 hz screen on a gaming laptop! EVER!

nebbish and Flying Endeavor like this.
  7. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah that's my problem. the QHD is 120hz but its a lower resolution than the 4K which is 60hz. So stupid! What is everyone going with? I imagine the QHD at 120hz like Ultra Male said?

8. Seyyed hasan

Seyyed hasan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi. Sry I don't know where I can ask my question. I buy aw 17 r1 and change bios over clocking and now the laptop show black screen. What can I do ? I open the case cover and pull up CMOS battery and laptop battery and push them again , but nothing happens and black screen come again. Unfortunately the ram is on slot 1 or 2 not 3 or 4. How can I reset bios without dissemble PALM rest? Plz help me I just bought it yesterday. Plzzzzzzz

9. tom7730

tom7730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, has anyone tested the DPC latency on one of the new m15 or m17? Looking for a new laptop for music production that can use a few instruments in Ableton with 64 or 128 sample buffer (no crackles) -- I.e. low latency. Had an XPS 9560 which was okay but lacked power and currently have a top spec precision 7730. Can't even play youtube without crackling and is terrible for music production. Now I'm looking at an m17 or may have to go with a MacBook which has its own problems. You can test it with this: https//www.resplendence.com/latencymon. Thanks

10. Winn

Winn Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought my first m17 (and AW for that matter) through HIDevolution and couldn't be happier with the buying experience or more excited for the build to get here! I've built my own computers in the past and thought I was pretty decent at knowing my way around laptop specs but was blown away with the amount of knowledge Mr Donald dropped on me as we were discussing my build. I actually started my shopping at Best Buy then went on to AW's site and almost settled for whatever configs they had there but so glad i found NBR and saw the recs for HIDevolution.

Mr Donald asked all the right questions when trying to figure out what our needs were and also gave me the exact info I was hoping for when I had questions about certain spec combos. His knowledge and experience is honestly next level. Also appreciate that he didn't give me any kind of "sales pitch" run-around and was super transparent about the whole ordering and processing timeline, along with which upgrades were worth spending on and which weren't.

Counting down til it arrives... thanks to NBR for pointing me in the right direction and thank you so much again @Donald@HIDevolution !

Flying Endeavor, Spartan and Renan like this.