*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    No I canceled the Area-51m order bro

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Because of the... Smoke? CIGAR.gif
    [​IMG]

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Haha... BTW, where do you get these images? Macbook pro in smokes after W10 upgrade.!!! I first thought it was Apple's ad for Smoke simulation in OpenCL using Vega 20/Navi.

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Quick question for AW owners in general, can you use GeoForce Now for driver updates or are they still locked in using Dell drivers whenever they update.?
    When I had a AW it used to be a pain to wait for Dell to update the GPU drivers.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Huh? I own several Alienwares, I never had to wait for dell to update anything. Download drivers straight from nvidia website and install

6. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am so sorry that you had to cancel. The -51m would have been a good machine for you. The 15m will also be a good machine as well. You exemplify the well-informed PC buyer. Your careful considerations of all the variables is the same mature approach I have strived for. Choosing a machine because other people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread is never helpful. Laying out the cash for a specific option is a huge emotional roller coaster. It is so easy to want something so you can feel like you belong to a particular clique. It is much harder to choose the path that best meets your needs but may not be as popular. Last I looked, this was one of criteria for being a good person. A satisfied person.

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Papusan

Here is what happened, my order was supposed to be delivered to HIDevolution from Dell on or before the 18th of March. I sold my laptop like 10 days ago and am suffering using my wife's old Dell Vostro 13 inch laptop.

Then the news about some laptops burning came into play so I was very worried. I sold my car to buy this laptop, I didn't win the lottery, I wanted to invest into something that would last me long and I love Alienware and their keyboards and this laptop was certainly Alienware moving into the right direction once again. I informed HIDevolution and Frank Azor about my concerns that I am not very comfortable buying this laptop and both of them had the exact same answer which was basically from Frank that they sell thousands of units and the small amount of cases that happened could happen to ANY machine and it such a small percentage of the sheer number of Area 51-ms that they sold. HIDevolution said the same thing obviously with lesser salves volumes but they assured me that they do rigorous testing before the laptop leaves their HQ and have had 0 complaints from people who bought them.

so I was like ok, this sounds a little bit comforting, then I got news from Dell that my laptop will be delayed for like another 10 days! It's like all the signs were leading me to not get this laptop and I believe in fate and circumstances and my patience ran out! so I called HIDevolution and asked them what laptops they had in-house like I don't wanna sit and wait for yet another order from Dell and they had the Nebula Red Alienware m15 with an RTX 1080 Max-Q which you may or not have known that was my 2nd choice for a laptop to get after the Area-51m so Ted from HIDevolution helped me swap my order to the Alienware m15.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Flying Endeavor and Renan like this.
  8. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We are talking like 6-7 years ago ( if not longer), that’s how long it’s been since I’ve bought a AW laptop.
    I specifically remember running into problems when downloading graphic drivers, if that’s not the cas anymore , awesome!

9. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't want to worry you guys in the Philippines, but try contacting your local DELL technical support regarding warranty coverage, only they can give a 100% true answer as the sales representatives can sometimes have inaccurate information and strive to get a sale (I always found the extremely helpful, but I first checked if the unit is available locally for sales). I know how excited you are as I'm the same with getting a new PC, but warranty is the most important thing in this case as even the best machines can fail. I don;t want to sound like a broken record, but do get at least a 3-year warranty initially as during that time the chances are highest for something bad to happen and knowing life, you will not extend it later as the prices will be much higher and most likely you will have to contact your local DELL unit, not the US (unless you transfer it there).

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Indeed, I have already contacted DELL Directly, 4 times even xD And each time, their representatives simply told me that if I get the Premium Warranty and I transfer it to the Philippines, then my warranty claims would be honored should it be needed. And yeah, the sales representatives here... after having encountered a good number of them from even both ASUS and MSI, I find it difficult to trust any of them. They really dislike it when I buy from anywhere else other their stores because of how retailers work here in the Philippines.

And I concur regarding the warranty. I hope my laptop would never fail, but a lot could happen in the 4 or more years that I intend to use it for. Although, I do fully intend to have the warranty extended once it has been transferred here as I could save up more for it with time. Right now, I am aiming to get the best system for my allocated budget because I also need to adjust for when my relatives go home around the end of April.