*OFFICIAL* Alienware m17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Thin and light 17" series is here:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...re-m17-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m17-laptop

[​IMG]

Ports & Slots
    1. (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Type-A | 2. Wedge-shaped lock slot (cable and lock sold separately) | 3. Power/DC-In Port | 4. HDMI 2.0 Output | 5. Mini-Display Port 1.3 Output | 6. Thunderbolt™ 3 Port | 7. Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port | 8. Killer™ Networks E2500 Gigabit Ethernet NIC | 9. USB SuperSpeed 3.1 Type-A with Powershare Technology | 10. Audio Out 1/8" Port (Compatible with inline mic headset)

[​IMG]

Dimensions & Weight
    1. Height: Front 0.727" (18.5mm.) – Rear 0.91" (23 mm.) | 2. Width: 16.1" (410 mm.) | 3. Depth: 11.52" (292.5mm.) | Weight: 5.79 lbs. (2.63 kgs)*

Vasudev likes this.
  2. PaddyPaws

PaddyPaws Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am currently debating between a few laptops the alienware m17, msi gs75, ge75 and 17inch asus strix. Looking forward to reading reviews when they all come out. Right now the alienware website shows 60hz screens I thought they were going to be 144hz? Right now the only reason i am still considering the alienware is because i have the graphics amp and do like using that in my living room.

I have the alienware 13 oled which i really like and appreciate the sturdy build quality. The new m51 looks cool but is just not practical for me. I will be using the laptop on business trips and while I don't need 8 hours of battery like i do need a couple before I have to hit an outlet and have it somewhat portable.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    msi build quality is trash, don't commit that mistake
    wait for an m15 with 240hz or oled panel with i7 plus rtx 2060 and use the amplifier

Vasudev and c69k like this.
  4. PaddyPaws

PaddyPaws Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually also have the msi gs65 today and really like it. The build quality is not the same as alienware i would agree with that but its hard to be the form factor and only 4 pounds. I miss having a 17 inch screen so looking to go back to that on my next purchase.. I had bought the alienware 13 on clearance just because i wanted to try the oled,

5. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i repasted a GS65 and i was totally dissaponited with the build quality, the touchpad is the worst i have ever touched on a laptop. the keyboard have really short travel and the distribution is bad, also it had a problem with the ENTER where it doesnt register the press
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...thin-8rf-053-keyboard-enter-key-issue.822928/

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I partly agree with you, and partly disagree.
    The keyboard i am totally on your side, i dont particularly like my steelseries keyboard on my gt62 aswell - it just feels a bit plushy, and sometimes key strokes aren´t registered.
    However the overall build quality is okay - if you want a thin and light gaming laptop like the gs65, sacrifices have to be made.
    If you want a more solid build quality, you need materials that are havier, what many people dont want.
    So in short, there is no brand out there without problems, every company has specific ones, but my experience with msi laptops (MSI GE60, MSI GE40, GT 62 in current use) is that msi laptops are good allrounders - what i dont mean in a negative way (MSI doesn´t make big mistakes, but dont really stand out among companies).
    So for me, MSI is a brand I would always take a look at, when comparing laptops! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Vasudev, judal57 and c69k like this.
  7. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the Reddit AMA, they did confirm as a reply to my post stating that the omission of the 144hz IPS panel on the M17 is a mistake on the website and will be fixed.

8. Aurizen

Aurizen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will be getting this!

I'm hoping it will run cool. I don't game much but I'm in need of a new laptop.

I'll get a cooling pad because I use my laptop on my bed.

9. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tripod mount for the heatsink? :/

10. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Heatsink will look like the m15 but bigger.